Monday, August 8, 2016

Out of your comfort zone into the convergence zone!

Last week Lia and Ellie went to a drama camp.  I think I mentioned that in a previous blog.  On Friday they had a performance at the end of the camp.  It is seriously amazing how much they get those 5-12 year olds to learn in just 4 1/2 days.  This is my sweet Lia at the microphone.  She had a couple of lines and a solo.  Ellie elected to not take any lines or solos.  Both were a part of the chorus and did a great job with all of the dances and songs.  Here they are during the show!

I don't know if I could have done something like this when I was 7 years old (like Ellie) or 10 years old (like Lia).  I don't remember a time when I was even in any kind of school program until I was in 8th Grade!  It is quite brave to get on stage and sing and dance.  Lia and Ellie have both been in several plays and done other camps like this.  But all I could think about was how amazing it was that they seemed so comfortable in front of so many people.  

I have been doing a lot of thinking about what exactly I am supposed to be doing in the future.  I am not talking about a job. What I am thinking about is ways to serve others.  Ways to use the gifts and talents that I have been given.  Ways to tell others about Jesus.  I am quite comfortable speaking to groups of people - especially if I am speaking on a subject that I am passionate about.  It's like that isn't it?  When you have something to say, it is much easier to speak clearly and even loudly.  Recently I heard a speaker talking about the "Convergence Zone".  How he described it was those times when you were involved in a task and you just KNEW that it was exactly what you were supposed to be doing.  When everything went well and you could see the purpose and the outcome.  Most importantly, you just know that whatever it was that you were doing was part of that bigger plan and purpose that God had created especially for you.  This speaker pointed out that most people don't ALWAYS operate in that zone.  As a matter of fact, the actual pattern is usually that we move in and out of that zone.  The idea is to DEFINE that zone and then seek to spend as much time in that place as possible!  He also pointed out that most people don't even realize what their Convergence Zone is until they are at least 50 years old.  And then it can take years to define that zone and determine how to stay there.  

This was interesting to me.  When I was 40 I thought I knew exactly what Jesus wanted me to do.  And I set out to do it!  Over the next 10 years or so I was more or less in that convergence zone.  I was creating programs for children's ministry, executing those programs and then sharing about those programs with others.   Somewhere around the age of 50, I realized that what I was really supposed to be doing was educating ADULTS about children and God's plan and purpose and destiny for children, rather than working with children.  And while I knew that was what the convergence zone was SUPPOSED to be, I don't think I really operated much in that place during those years.   And here I am at the age of 62.  In all honesty I have no idea what that convergence zone looks like for me right now.  At 40 I had both a message and a platform to share/execute the message.  At 50 I had a message but no platform to SHARE that message.  And, alas, here I am at 60 with no seeming message and no obvious platform.  

AND THEN IT HITS ME......EVEN AS I WAS PUTTING THOSE WORDS ON THE PAGE!
My current message is really very simple.  It includes the message that I was first given at age 4.  Jesus is real.  He died for ALL of us.  He loves us more than we can imagine.  He is always with us and He cares for us.  More than that, every person - no matter what age - can hear Jesus.  All you have to do is stop and ask.  I know that he will speak to you.  And as far as a platform goes......... well, here I am, writing this blog to you all.  This blog is my platform.  It allows me to share from my heart in total honesty.  It is amazing to me that anyone else would care to read my every day thoughts.  But the thing is, tonight I realized that what makes my blogs readable is that I am writing from my convergence zone!  When I am putting these words on the page, I know that somewhere out there in cyber space, someone is reading them and Jesus is using this blog to touch someone else.  

Be encouraged tonight.  Even if you can't identify right now how you might be walking out God's plan for your life, you can trust that there IS a plan for you!  And as you go about your day to day life, be aware of those convergence zone times, when you just know things are "clicking".  Take notice of those times and then seek to recreate them!  

So at the beginning of this blog I thought that I did not have a message or a platform.  And just in the writing of this blog, Jesus reminded me exactly WHY I am even writing this blog!  Isn't Jesus simply amazing?  Well folks, that is just how fast Jesus will speak to you, if you just ask.  Sometimes you will get an answer just by putting words on a page.   Here I was tonight - in my comfort zone.  Blogging about my life.  Then suddenly I found myself smack dab in the middle of my convergence zone!  I'm going to need to think about this blog for a bit!  Hope it blesses you - I've been blessed!

Jesus, thank you for turning my thoughts in the right direction.  Holy Spirit, thank you for the nudges that help us realize those wonderful convergence zone times.  Help us all to hear Jesus speaking and leading us.  Keep our ears tuned to His voice and His word.  Thank you for showing us the way to move out of our comfort zone and into that convergence zone!  Amen



No comments:

Post a Comment