Thursday, June 27, 2024

Doing a "Mission Trip" another way....

I had the wonderful opportunity to spend a week with Zeke and Anna while Gwen, Tim, Lia and Ellie went on their yearly Boulder Mission Trip.  This photo is the only one I have of the three of us together.  We ate several meals out, but I didn't remember to take a picture! This year was special since it was Zeke's last year with Grandma since he will be ON the Boulder Mission Trip next year!  It is hard being the youngest and Anna was really feeling it during this week.  I can totally understand since I was the youngest of five siblings!  Anna and Zeke spend a lot of time together since they are home schooled.  This year, at thirteen, Zeke has been spending less time with Anna and more time with friends and video games.  We made the very most of our time together.  

The week started off with a very special treat for me - Anna danced at the Grayslake Art Show.  I got to watch the Spotlight dancers - up close!  They dance outside on a community patio.  This was the first time that Anna danced without Ellie or Lia being there also.  The weather was good and she did an amazing job.


 The Spotlight show was Barbie themed and the final dance was "Weird Barbie".  Watching this dance up close sure made it easier to actually find the dancer you were looking for! 
It was especially nice to have such a close up view of the lovely costumes.  I told Miss Bridget after the performance how much I loved seeing all the costumes up close!  She replied, "Thanks, I made them myself!" (Which of course she didn't but she has a hand in choosing them for sure.)  I always appreciate how modest and beautiful all the costumes are at this studio.  

We had a couple of cooler, rainy days that did not make for good pool time.  But the rest of the days, I was in that pool!  I love to swim and Zeke and Anna also love the pool.  Gwen gave them a really neat pool lacrosse set that was well used!  



There were lots of board games and card games played over this week.  The kids had gotten a new card game called "Blink" and there were many, many rounds of this fast-paced game!

I took the kids bowling and we also went to see the movie Garfield.  I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the movie!  The kids wanted me to bowl, but I didn't want to strain any muscles, so I let them each bowl an extra game!  While I used to love bowling, it has been years since I have bowled!

This week usually includes several crafts and activities and this year was no different.  Anna had gotten a sticker by number book and created this really cute beagle picture, which does look just like Sunny and Chandler!
Zeke and Anna also got a Marbled Art project which included a really interesting solution that allows the paint to float on the surface of the water.  You then place the paper right on the water and transfer your designs.  I enjoy watching the kids try out some new crafts every year.
Anna and I took some early morning walks with Sunny down by their lake.  It was really perfect weather the first few days.  I really enjoyed being by the lake.

The pussy willows and wild flowers were lovely and surprisingly, there were not many cicadas by their house.  With all the woods around, I was surprised at that.  We sure heard them in neighboring areas, but it was all quiet by their house!  I am not used to so much "wild life" around and one night while letting the dogs out before bed, we discovered a herd of deer in their back yard!  They have several mulberry bushes and trees and the deer come right up to grab a snack!  Sunny was not very happy about that!  The deer didn't even move with her barking, but just continued to eat!

We found a new place fairly close by that has a mini golf course.  Zeke asked if his friend Robert could come, so the three kids golfed 18 holes!  We picked a good day, since it wasn't terribly hot.  Robert actually won and got a free game to use in the future!


We had to go Riverside Chocolates for ice cream!  This is a standard stop anytime Grandma is in charge!  They have the most outstanding ice cream anywhere around.  The kids love their milk shakes so much.  

On Friday night (the last night of our time together), I took them roller skating.  Anna doesn't have much of a chance to practice skating, but by the end of the night, she was doing well.  Zeke loves it and said that he would like to go every week! 
Saturday morning before the Mission Trippers arrived home, Anna begged to go to a playground.  Zeke feels that he is just a bit old for this activity, but I insisted we visit the "Fake Grass" park near their home.  
The fact that we only went to one playground is evidence of the passage of time.  Usually we would go to a different park each day.  As Anna was lamenting that next year she would not have anyone to bowl, skate, or swim with, I reminded her that we could do all the activities that she wanted!  And she could invite friends!  So, it didn't seem like such a bad thing to be alone with Grandma after that.  

These yearly mission trip times with the kids have been a big part of my life since 2008.  I look forward to this time and actually view it as my own mission trip.  The concentrated time I get to spend with the kids is wonderful.  But more than that, it allows Gwen and Tim to serve and lead without worrying about the kids at home.  They have such servant hearts and being able to support them, behind the scene so to speak, is meaningful for me.  The many youth (and now adults) that they have mentored and influenced and guided into service for Jesus is astonishing.  As well as the many children/families/adults that have been shown the love of Jesus through their caring work.  I was blessed to "be Gwen" on Sunday morning, leading Boulder (junior high/senior high) students during the education hour (Gwen's usual job).  These kids simply can not wait to be old enough to actually GO on this yearly mission trip which is for high schoolers only.  Because they are so excited to serve, in just a few weeks, I will actually have just Anna during the Boulder Junior High Mission Trip! (Zeke will be on this one)  This is a local experience, lead by the high school students!  It is a picture of mentoring at its best and gives the younger kids a taste of missions.  I am thankful that I get to have a small part in this service that impacts people and places for Jesus.  

Jesus, thank you for the willingness of the youth and adults who serve on this Mission tip.  Holy Spirit, continue to bring connection and change to those children and adults that were impacted by this week of service at Good Samaritan Ministries in East St. Louis, Illinois.  Water the seeds that were sown and bring encouragement to the families who are in places of great need.  Jesus, thank you for meeting the youth and speaking clearly to them as they grow in relationship with you.  Holy Spirit, help us all to see every day as mission opportunity to bring the love of Jesus to those around us.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment