Saturday, September 1, 2018

All the stages of being a grandma....

There is just something so special and so amazing about being a grandma.  I never thought much about what an important stage of my life "grandma-ing" would be.  I loved that my mom was such an amazing grandma (and great grandma).  She just excelled at making each one of her grandchildren feel special and loved.  I do remember thinking that it would be difficult to fill her shoes as a grandma.  This sweet picture has me thinking about just how blessed I was when Lia made me a grandma twelve years ago!  Okay, Gwen and Tim did have something to do with it.  I will never forget the first time I held this precious child in my arms.  It was like holding a (very) tiny piece of heaven! Lately, this growing so quickly young lady, has taken her place in the "photography" line of the family. 

Ken recently set her up with a camera, an instruction book and a bit of hands on learning.  And she was off to the races.  She seems to always have that camera in her hands now!  Here is one of her first (and can I proudly say) very impressive shots of a sunset. and "her" dog (that she shares with the rest of us).....


The time watching her grow and change has just seemed to fly by.  Suddenly she is taking wonderful pictures, being a mother's helper and earning her own money and (gasp) talking about driving and going to college!  At least she will still consent to hugs from Grandma Lyn!

While Lia was off taking pictures, I had the pleasure of watching Ellie, Zeke and Anna playing at a splash pad. Seeing them run through the water, chasing bursts of cascading streams from pop up fountains had me wishing I was more than a few years younger!   

And watching Grace, growing from baby into a toddler, has seemed to happen in the blink of an eye.
Suddenly she is not only walking but running and climbing and even walking in these play "high heels"! 

This week, I was reading a new bunch of books to Grace that Susie had brought out from the book shelf in Grace's room.  Grace went back, over and over to this book.....

As a matter of fact, as she was turning the pages, I heard her say "Baby" and "Moon"!  So I took Grace on my lap and we read this book together.  It is a touching story that you have to read to appreciate.  By the time I got to the last page, I was in tears.  
Now, the book itself is enough to get you chocked up.  But it was the fact that this particular book has a handwritten note dated 2014 in the front cover.  This book was gifted to Doug and Susie at her baby shower before Lucas was born.  The note reads... "This is the start of your sweet little story.  No matter where your tale takes you, we hope it is filled with lots of  love!"    I can tell you that this grandma knows Lucas was celebrated in heaven the day he was born and his short life was filled with an amazing amount of love.  
And just as with Lia and Ellie and Zeke and Anna and Grace, I will never forgot the moment I held this sweet little one in my arms.  Lucas' story was very short.  Just ten days.  But those ten days were filled with so much love. Now Lucas is bathed in the amazing love of Jesus in heaven.  

 Each stage of "Grandma-ing" is just as precious as the next.  So much joy, so much laughter, so much fun and also, so many tears.  Every moment is meaningful and every hug is a gift.  Whether a newborn baby or a teenager or an adult- each grandchild is special and loved.  I truly believe that Jesus created a special connection between grandparents and grandchildren.  It is a spiritual tie and is theirs and theirs alone, that somehow passes by the parents.  I can't explain it, but I can assure you it is a real thing.  It is an access point to these little ones that allows extra prayers and extra love to just flow unhindered and God is in it.  I don't want to waste a moment of the time I have with my grandchildren!  It is a time to sow blessings and destiny and purpose into their lives.  Along with lots of hugs.  

Jesus, thank you for your great love for us.  Thank you for all of the stages of grand parenting.  Holy Spirit, remind us to look for those special connections between the generations.  Help us to celebrate each other no matter what stage of life we are in.  Give us courage and boldness to share our love with each other.  Thank you Jesus for your grace when grief and loss are a part of our family.  Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment