Sunday, December 2, 2018

When a scent brings back memories.... and Operation Christmas Child boxes fulfilling a destiny

This is not the exact picture I was looking for, but it will do.  I think this was taken in the fall of 1994 (Gwen would probably know).  When I stated writing this blog I was actually looking for a different picture of my mom and me, but this one will serve the purpose.  I had one of those really strange experiences this past week.  I put a new "Shower Gel" in the shower and it was one of those seasonal scents that are not really a specific fragrance.  As soon as the hot water hit that shower gel, I was "smelling" my mom!  I can't tell you exactly what about this fragrance it is, but standing there in the shower, I was suddenly missing my mom.  I am always thinking about her around this time of year, since for almost 20 years she would come and stay with us over the Thanksgiving holiday.  We had so much fun and I have so many great memories of being with her during those visits.  As a matter of fact, every time I put up my Christmas tree I think about her.  We always put our tree up while she was visiting so that she had a small part of our Christmas celebrations.  I was just NOT expecting to suddenly be hit with this.

It is funny how these waves of missing just seem to hit at unexpected times.  And it is the littlest things that can trigger the sadness and grief.  Our family is always missing Lucas especially during November.  I am so thankful that we have found a way to not only remember Lucas but also to celebrate his life through Operation Christmas Child shoebox gifts.   
Each year we fill boxes with toys and goodies for children around the world.  I always do my boxes for boys around the same age as Lucas would be.  It is easy to think about the little ones who will find joy and hope in these simple gifts.  The best part of these boxes is that the children also hear about Jesus.  As I am filling each box,  it feels like I am helping to fulfill a bit of the destiny that Jesus had planned for Lucas.  In this small thing, children far away are hearing the Gospel message.  Even before Lucas was born, I felt that his destiny was as an evangelist who would carry the Gospel to the world in unusual ways.  So even though his life was only 10 days here on earth, Jesus has given us a way to see Lucas' destiny and his legacy to be carried out.  So many of the Operation Christmas Child stories show that in many cases, whole areas are transformed through these boxes.  Churches are built and lives are changed.  I am so thankful for this meaningful way to honor Lucas.  If you haven't heard of this great ministry of Samaritan's Purse, check out Operation Christmas Child.  Even though this years collection has ended, it is not too late!  You can pack a box "on line"! 

Yes, the missing is hard.  But when you can celebrate the memories and also honor your loved ones through helping others, the pain is lessened.  I am so thankful that our hope is found in Jesus.  The Christmas season is a wonderful time to reflect on God's great rescue plan to bring us all back into fellowship with him.  The season of Advent in the church is a time of waiting and preparing.  It's a great time to stop and reflect on the miracle of Christmas.  I recently saw this idea posted on line and I think it is a great one.  The Gospel of Luke has 24 chapters.  Just enough to read one chapter a day.  When you complete this during Advent, you will have read the story of Jesus' life.  I challenge you to join me and read one chapter of Luke each day.  You can read two today to catch up!  It will surely be a Christmas blessing for you.

Jesus, thank you for speaking your destiny for each of us.  Holy Spirit reach out to those who are having a hard time during this season.  Bring your comfort and peace to them.  Give us all insight into ways that we can honor and remember those who have died.  Jesus, bless all of those millions of Operation Christmas Child boxes and bring each one to exactly the right little boy or girl.  Thank you for your great rescue plan.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment