Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Taking a drink.......when you are very thirsty!

We have been having some really nice, warm weather (for February) and as of tonight, we are snow free!  In typical Chicago fashion, (you might get four seasons of weather in one day) we are currently under a winter storm warning.  So tomorrow will most likely NOT be snow free.  However, given the very unpredictability of our weather forecasting, we might not have any snow! During one of those really nice, warm days I happened to notice "our" squirrel putting on a show outside of my living room!  We have a pair of squirrels who have taken up residence in the tree in our neighbors back yard.  We see them scampering around and leaving their prints in the snow on our patio.  This was the show I watched......
That squirrel came back over and over again for drinks of water.  The interesting thing about this is that we have a creek behind our house that has plenty of water in it.  As a matter of fact, the area behind our house is a "detention" area and because we have had some rains this winter, there are pools of water in that space.  So I could not imagine why that little squirrel was so intent on visiting the bird bath!  Whatever the reason, both squirrels had several drinks from what looked to me to be dirty, icky water.  They must have been very thirsty!

I was thinking how awful that water looked that that those "furry tailed rodents" (as Ken calls them) were drinking.  I am so thankful that the living water that flows from the throne to us is crystal clear and perfect.  I was thinking about Jesus' words to the Samaritan women at the well...  Jesus was right there to meet her need.  So here are those verses John 4:13-14 from my very favorite...The Passion Translation....

Jesus answered, "If you drink from Jacob's well you'll be thirsty again and again, but if anyone drinks the living water I give them, they will never thirst again and will be forever satisfied!  For when you drink the water I give you it becomes a gushing fountain of the Holy Spirit, springing up and flooding you with endless life!"

I have been feeling thirsty myself in the last couple of weeks.  Thirsty for the presence of Jesus.  Thirsty for worship.  Not just "singing" but worship.  I have felt dry and a bit "out of sorts" and from experience, I know that what I really need is more of Jesus!  I am very happy that I have a small group meeting tomorrow where I can take a big drink...... of the presence!  There is something so good about being with your trusted friends and talking and laughing and crying.  From that place we worship and pray and just experience the closeness and support of one another.  And always there is that wonderful, amazing flow of the river of the Holy Spirit, gushing forth from each of us.   So, I am sure that after jumping into that river tomorrow, I will be less thirsty.  

Isn't it interesting how things in the natural so often speak to us about Spiritual things?  I needed this reminder tonight. I already feel less "thirsty" just talking about that gushing fountain springing up and flooding me.  Yes, that is just what I needed tonight!  Thanks to some squirrels!

Jesus, I love that you know exactly what we need.  Thank you for your Word that gives us a clear picture of all that you have promised for us.  Holy Spirit, thank you for your fountain of  living water! Jesus, remind all of us who are feeling dry and thirsty that you have given us an endless supply of living water!  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment