Sunday, May 15, 2016

Days of birthday celebrations........

Yesterday was Ken's birthday and we spent Friday visiting an Auto Museum close to our house as he celebrated by NOT working!  We had a great day seeing all of those amazing cars from TV and Movies as well as some classic cars.  There is a large antique mall as a part of this museum and we had fun spending several hours wandering aisle after aisle of "collectibles" (think really old stuff that you can't believe are actually worth anything).  I saw so many items that had once been in my house or my mom's house.  Ken found a very old camera to add to his collection in his camera room.  One of the items I saw was a large container of very old Fisher Price "Little People".  And they were selling for $10 each!  It made me wish I had saved some of those old toys.  I also saw many dishes and bakeware items that I had used over the years.  All I can say is if you want to feel REALLY old on your birthday, go to an antique mall.  You will know that you are indeed an antique!

Today this sweet little one turned FIVE years old!  I really can't believe how fast the time has gone.  Zeke's special day will always come with extra memories for me since he was born on my mom's birthday (just after she had died!). She would have been 101 years old today.  It just doesn't seem possible. Zeke's "kid" birthday party was actually last weekend but today we had our family celebration with a knock-em down bowling party!  All three kids (Anna didn't bowl - she is just not quite big enough yet) actually did great (thanks in part to those magic bumpers!) I, on the other hand, had a very disappointing score.  I used to be a fairly good bowler, but it has been years since I have picked up a ball!   What fun it was to spend time together doing something that everyone really seemed to enjoy.  I think that we have some future bowlers in our midst!  

When we got home from our bowling outing I happened to find a very old photo album of "instant pictures" that I have not looked at for some time.
I found these two pictures of my mom and dad. The first is from Thanksgiving in 1978 when Ken and I spent the holiday there.  The second picture is the first time that my Mom and Dad saw Gwen.  She was 7 weeks old.  You can see in the picture that my dad was not doing well.  He had just spent several months in the hospital and was still recovering.   Mom was really anxious to see Gwen and they came as soon as they could.  What great memories I have of my mom and how wonderful it is to be able to honor her and remember her on this special day.

I happened to read this devotion today... from Oswald Chambers "My Utmost for His Highest".

Remember what you are saved for — that the Son of God might be manifested in your mortal flesh. Bend the whole energy of your powers to realize your election as a child of God; rise to the occasion every time. You cannot do anything for your salvation, but you must do something to manifest it, you must work out what God has worked in. Are you working it out with your tongue, and your brain and your nerves? If you are still the same miserable crosspatch, set on your own way, then it is a lie to say that God has saved and sanctified you. God is the Master Engineer, He allows the difficulties to come in order to see if you can vault over them properly — “By my God have I leaped over a wall.” God will never shield you from any of the requirements of a son or daughter of His. Peter says — “Think it not strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you.” Rise to the occasion; do the thing. It does not matter how it hurts as long as it gives God the chance to manifest Himself in your mortal flesh. May God not find the whine in us any more, but may He find us full of spiritual pluck and athleticism, ready to face anything He brings. We have to exercise ourselves in order that the Son of God may be manifested in our mortal flesh. God never has museums. The only aim of the life is that the Son of God may be manifested, and all dictation to God vanishes. Our Lord never dictated to His Father, and we are not here to dictate to God; we are here to submit to His will so that He may work through us what He wants. When we realize this, He will make us broken bread and poured-out wine to feed and nourish others.

I especially loved the line that I highlighted and underlined above.  And it reminded me of my mom.  So often she would say "stop whining"!  She was not a whiner at all.  She never let on when there was one of those difficulties that are mentioned above.  She just kept on going through it.  I am so thankful for that example.  It was a good reminder.  Yes, this gives me a new daily prayer.....  "Jesus, I pray that you not find any whine in me today".   And I loved the last line of this devotion..... Jesus is making us broken bread and poured out wine to feed and nourish others.  WOW!  

Today is one of those days when I am really feeling the "generational" place I am in.  I am remembering my mom, while enjoying being with my children and grand children.  There is a weight to being on the top of that family tree. Yes, a weight and responsibility.    More than anything I want to make that last line of the devotion my own prayer and direction.  I want this for my family and also for the world around me.  

So birthday celebrations are over for our family.....for now.  Lia's birthday is in just two weeks!  Yes, it is a wonderful way to love on my little sweeties and also spend time remembering my mom and all that she gave to our family.  

Jesus, thank you for birthday's and wonderful time together with family.  Holy Spirit, remind us all to stop whining and instead help us rise to our rightful place as sons and daughters of the King and do what we have to do!  Give us grace and courage to share all of Jesus with the world around us.  Thank you for Ken and Zeke and of course, my mom.  Amen




No comments:

Post a Comment