Monday, August 15, 2016

In the background (second try)....

This wonderful picture above is from my very favorite yearly calendar provided each Christmas by the Johnson family.  It is always fun to see the kids as they were exactly a year before.  This picture was from August of 2015 - on Zeke's first day of four year old preschool.  The great thing about this picture is what is visible "in the background"!  Chandler managed to photobomb this picture, totally by accident (notice the upper left hand corner).  It is difficult to get the four kids to sit for the picture, let alone get the DOG to sit in the window!  And Anna was just 18 months old at this time.  At any rate, I love this picture and have been waiting for August to roll around to have this shot up on my kitchen wall.  I love the kids, but I also love that cute doggie in the background!  Yes, it is what is in the background that makes this picture so special.

Now, about the second try mentioned in the title.   I started this blog a week ago!  Yes that's right.  Last Monday night I started writing this blog.  I didn't get back to working on it until late in the week and finally finished it last night.  I was having some trouble saving the file.  I tried several times to save it and it seemed to finally save.  I checked the actual blog post a couple of times and yes, it was all there.  So I hit "publish" and breathed a sigh of relief.  It is sometimes like that with these posts.  I know what I am supposed to say, but the words just don't seem to flow smoothly.  I put words on the page and then, after reading them, decided that it is not at all what I wanted to convey with a post.  I am convinced that the reason this post was so difficult is because of the message I had to share.

In a nut shell (and not at all like I shared it last night) the message is that sometimes things come up to the surface from where they had been hiding in the background.  And when this happens, there are emotions and feelings that come with those things and suddenly you have to deal with a very old issue and/or event.  It might be that you thought you had already taken care of that thing, but then you realize that you are still bothered and  you didn't even KNOW it was there in the background.   The worst part of this is that it SEEMS so out of your control.  This is not something you planned to have in your life right at this moment.  Yet, there it is.  This certainly happened to me this past week.  And after several days of rehashing some things from the past, I found myself being very critical and even angry at myself.  And then I started to worry.  Worry that there might be other things hanging around in the background that I hadn't taken care of.  Worry that I had made some kind of big mistake in that background issue that I should have done something about.  Just worry in general.  And then I was reading my favorite Scripture translation - The Passion Translation and I came to this passage in Matthew 6:34

"Refuse to worry about tomorrow, but deal with each challenge that comes your way, one day at a time,.  Tomorrow will take care of itself."

Can you believe that?  REFUSE!  Refuse to worry!  I love this translation.  I will REFUSE TO WORRY!   I love that not only does this verse remind us not to worry, but then it reminds us that we can deal with whatever the challenge is that comes along.  But only as it actually comes along.

Isn't it great that Scripture can answer to a situation so perfectly?  When these background things pop up to the surface what you have to do is first, refuse to worry!  Don't let the enemy get you into the cycle of shame/blame and anger.  Don't worry about what else might be lurking ready to come up.  And then secondly, deal with whatever the situation is that has come up.  That word "deal" is pretty broad.  It might mean forgiving someone (even yourself).  Or it might mean just letting go of things that you can't change.  There might be an action required on your part.  The best action is to just give the entire thing to Jesus and know that he has taken care of it all.  And then  there is a final reminder in this verse to NOT worry!

This morning I heard a song and it fits perfectly with this blog.  It was not in yesterdays addition.  I am convinced that there was a wonderful reason why that "glitch" happened last night with my blog and this might be it.  The song is Sparrows by Jason Gray.  Here are the lyrics.........


You can't add a single day by worrying
You'll worry your life away
Oh don't worry your life away
You can't change a single thing by freaking out
It's just gonna close you in
Oh don't let the trouble win

You may feel alone
But you're not on your own

(chorus)
(Lalala) if He can hold the world He can hold this moment
(Lalala) not a field nor flower escapes His notice
Oh even the sparrow
Knows He holds tomorrow

Lean in and it's hard to miss
Everything can change
When you make it His
Oh He wants to carry it
Carefree in the care of God
When you let it go
You'll find that He's enough
Oh you never leave His love

You don't walk alone

(chorus)
(Lalala) if He can hold the world He can hold this moment
(Lalala) not a field nor flower escapes His notice
Oh even the sparrow
Knows He holds tomorrow

There's not a single star that's out of place
There's nothing broken He can't remake
If you long for hope when you're afraid
Look at the sparrow

(chorus)
(Lalala) if He can hold the world He can hold this moment
(Lalala) not a field nor flower escapes His notice
Oh even the sparrow
Knows He holds tomorrow
(Lalala) even the sparrow knows
He holds tomorrow

I just love the verse I highlighted.  Yep, that is what this blog has all been about.  Being carefree in the care of God.  No matter what is in the background.  No matter what stuff comes to the surface.  No matter what!  He is enough!  We can never leave His love!  It might have taken me more than a couple days and multiple attempts to share this message, but it was worth it!  

Jesus, thank you for the reminder that you are in control!  Even in control of this blog and what is written and when it get published.  Thank you for this song this morning and for Jason Gray.  Holy Spirit, help us all to remember the words of this song as we face those issues that just come up out of nowhere.  Keep our eyes on Jesus.  And remind us of the sparrow.  Amen 

No comments:

Post a Comment