Wednesday, February 8, 2017

It's just a matter of opinion!

The weather on Monday was downright pleasant.  The sun was shining (yes, that is still possible here, even though we broke some kind of record for the most cloudy days in a row).  It was in the high 40's and just seemed like a really good day to get the kids out of the house!  At least I thought it was a good idea.  Now the four kids were pretty split about going outside.  The younger two were all for it, but the older two - well, not so much.  At any rate, I really didn't give them a choice.  I needed some fresh air, so we were going outside!  These two pictures pretty much sum up the great divide on this going outside thing.....
Anna came to me wearing her frozen rain boots, her Peppa Pig rain coat and a sun hat.  Zeke didn't even want to wear a coat.  I insisted that he at least wear a sweatshirt.  Ellie came with her rain boots and winter coat, along with a winter hat and ear muffs.  Lia went full on winter - winter boots, snow pants, winter coat, winter hat, ear muffs and gloves!  Remember I said that it was almost 50 degrees?

Yes, it was clear that it was just a matter of opinion as to how cold it actually was outside!  I was thinking about this today while paging through my Facebook feed.  So much of everything these days seems to be just a matter of opinion.  The issue that one person is so upset about has someone else jumping for joy.  And just like these clothing choices by the kids, sometimes it doesn't make much sense!  The kids somehow represented all four seasons when they were actually experiencing the exact same weather.  If I were going to be really legalistic, I would have to say that Lia was dressed for the season.  It was February 6th after all.  I guess that Ellie might have been dressed for this "in between" weather we had that was unseasonably warm.  Anna was just wearing her most favorite items with no regard what so ever for the actual weather report.  And Zeke, well, he is just a warm boy that is often covered in sweat, no matter what the weather.  So he dressed for what makes him comfortable.  

So I have decided that I will take this approach when reading through Facebook.  I will remember that some people just like to be "in season".  No matter what the actual temperature is.  And I will appreciate those people that are a bit more sensitive to what is going on around them.  I will celebrate with those people that are just happy and having a wonderful time, without any regard to what is happening around them.  And mostly I will appreciate those people that really know their own situations well, and behave accordingly.  Don't you think this is a good approach?  

Yes, I learn so many things from my grandchildren.  They truly are a blessing from the Lord - often in unexpected ways!  I love this photo of Anna.  Can't you just see the joy on her face!  She was loving swinging!
Thanks to these four wonderful kids, I will be much calmer looking through my Facebook.  As a matter of fact, I might even find myself laughing as I mentally put different posts into each of these categories.  And laughter makes the heart glad!  I love these verse from Psalm 126....

Our mouths were filled with laughter, our tongues with songs of joy, then it was said among the nations, The Lord has done great things for them.

And just for good measure... that same verse from The Passion Translation....

We laughed and laughed, and overflowed with gladness!  We were left shouting for joy, and singing your praise.  All the nations saw it and joined in saying, "The Lord has done great miracles for them!"  

Yes, my family is filled with joy and we are overflowing with gladness with the birth of Grace.  And This reminder is a good one for all of us.  Our world is filled with so much controversy right now. There is strife and fighting at every turn.  We all need some laughter and joy in our life right now.  And if it means thinking about my four little sweeties and their clothing choices, well, so be it!  
Have a really good laugh on me today!  

Jesus, we all have a very good reason for joy.  Your great sacrifice on the cross for us cause for laughter.  Help us remember to see every situation through your eyes. Holy Spirit give us a joyful heart and a peaceful spirit.  Amen  

No comments:

Post a Comment