Thursday, February 23, 2017

When you hear something in a song that you have never heard before....

Yesterday I spent another wonderful day with Grace and Susie!  At three weeks old, Grace is doing simply amazing.  She is alert and most of all, peaceful and calm.  She basically just sleeps, eats and looks around - which is what most babies do at three weeks!  But she rarely cries, which is a bit unusual.  I am loving all the time I get to spend with her!  Yep, just love this grandma time!
On the way home last night, I heard the same song on the radio twice!  That is really odd!  The first time it played, I was in tears.  This was a song that so touched me after Lucas died.  So, I was thinking about the very short, precious time we had with Lucas.   Here is a picture of Lucas taken when I was holding him....
After the song finished, the station played another song.  And then, somehow, that first song came on again!  The song is Tell Your Heart To Beat Again, by Danny Gokey.  Now I have heard this song so many times.  I can assure you that I have cried my way through it, every time it plays.  But last night, when the song came on a second time.... well it got my attention.  And then I found myself REALLY listening.  There it was.... exactly what I needed to hear.  And it had been there all the time, right in the chorus. 

Tell your heart to beat again
close your eyes and breathe it in
Let the shadows fall away
Step into the light of grace
Yesterday's a closing door
You don't live there anymore
Say goodbye to where you've been
And tell your heart to beat again


Step into the light of Grace!  It was as if that line had been placed there, just for me.  Just for our family.  It was a very clear message.  GRACE!  Our sweet Grace!  And we are taking that step into the light.  Lucas is always with us.  But the shadows of grief and pain are falling away, as we step into this time with Grace.  I am so amazed at the wonder of knowing that God has a hand in not only knowing our names before we are born, but at the "God-incident" that caused this song to play twice in a ten minute time span - just to get my attention.  

Isn't our wonderful, caring Jesus just amazing?  Hearing exactly the right song at the right time.  And using something like the lyrics in a song to touch and reach and heal and remind me that He has everything under control.  Today I mentioned this to Susie and we got to talking about Grace's name.  Susie said that the minute she looked at her after she was born, she KNEW that her name was Grace.  I can't imagine her with any other name.  

During the last two years after Lucas' death, it was hard to imagine a time when the shadows were falling away.  I am sure that many of you can understand this.  Those times of deep despair and depression.  Times when things seem so dark and (as the song says....) shattered in a thousand pieces on the floor. It is hard to even consider what is ahead in the future.  I know.  I've been there.
But then.... as the song says.

Beginning
Just let that word wash over you
It's alright now
Love's healing hands have pulled you through
So get back up, take step one
Leave the darkness, feel the sun
'Cause your story's far from over
And your journey's just begun.

There is one final verse.... It is a reminder that every scar is a picture of WHO has carried us this far. It is the loving hands of Jesus that can pull us through those dark times.  Yes, I am so thankful for the reminder that my families story is far from over.  Grace's journey has just begun.  

Jesus, thank you for speaking to me in a song, again.  Holy Spirit, help us all to feel those loving, healing hands of Jesus during those dark and shattered times.  Give us courage and boldness to get up and take that step, knowing that Jesus is in control.  Thank you for blessing our family with this new life.  Amen




No comments:

Post a Comment