Friday, November 10, 2017

Honoring Veterans closest to me....

I just spent a rather frustrating hour or so looking through photos.  I was looking for a picture that I can see in my mind, but alas, I never located it.  I thought I was pretty organized, but this past hour has proven that I have a lot of work to do on my old photos.  I finally found a few photo's that will have to do for this blog.
I decided on this photo, taken in 1961, because these four guys are the veterans that I would like to share about on this Veterans Day (eve).  From left to right this is Greg Johnson (my brother), Roy Jackson (my brother-in-law), Jerry Johnson (my brother) and my dad!  All four of these men served our country in the armed forces.  Greg was in the Air Force.  Roy was in the Army.  Jerry was in the Army and my dad was in the Navy. 
I have shared in the past, about my dad and his service during WWII.  This picture just reminds me what a very big deal it was for him to leave and be gone for YEARS!  I can't imagine leaving a wife and two young kids - but so many men did.  He never shared much with me about his time serving in the Navy.  I heard most of the stories from my mom.  How I wish I would have asked him more questions about his time in the Navy.  

This is a screen shot I took today from a story my niece Nancy posted about her dad, Roy Jackson.  He was honored today for his service in the Army from 1953-1955.  He received a wonderful quilt as a gift.  Even my earliest memories include Roy, since my sister brought him home from college when I was only 4 years old. Karen and Roy met after his time in the Army.  I have very vivid memories of pictures of Roy in his Army uniform on the wall in Karen and Roy's home.   
This is my brother Jerry, and I am not exactly sure of the date of this photo.  I want to say it was 1962.    Jerry was away serving in the Army when I was in early grade school.  I remember telling people that he was "far away in Okinawa" - which really didn't mean anything to me.  All I knew was that he was not home and my mom and dad were worried about him.  
This is my mom and me with my brother Greg (in uniform) and my brother Jerry.  Greg was in the Air Force in Thailand.  He was gone during my late high school years and was still overseas when Ken I got married in 1974.  

Yes, these four men all served their country and sacrificed to keep us all safe.  It is interesting to me how many of my friends have no veterans in their families.  In addition to these four guys, Ken's dad and brother-in-law also served, as well as another one of my brother-in-laws.   

I know that not having your brothers around all the time is not the same as missing a parent.  But I know that my life was shaped by their time away in the military.  I remember especially the holidays that they missed with our family.  And I remember how much my mom and dad missed having all of their children together.  I think I felt this especially, as the youngest in the family.  We are all unique because of our experiences as individuals.  We share the experiences of our families.  And even more so, of our communities.    I feel that sense of pride and honor that is just a part of my family - as citizens of the United States of America.  I think that is one reason that I am so offended by the recent "protests" of our National Anthem.  I think about these four men and so many others,  who sacrificed and served for all of us.  And the many who are away from their homes and families right now.  Every member of the families of our veterans and service men and women have been changed because of their connection to the military and our great country.  

This is a time to stop and remember and be thankful for our homeland.  For all the great blessings that we have here in the United States. And to remember to pass on our stories of those who have served for our freedom.  Lia, Ellie, Zeke, Anna and Grace don't have fathers or grandfathers who have served in the military.  So I will be sure to tell them about the many in their family tree who have served and earned the right to honored on Veterans Day.

Jesus, thank you for the blessings that you have poured out on the United States of America.  It is your hand of mercy and grace that has built and preserved us through the years.  Holy Spirit, help us to give honor and respect to those who serve us - whether in the military or as law enforcement.  Jesus, break down the barriers that are dividing our great nation.  Fill this country with your great love.  Amen  







No comments:

Post a Comment