Wednesday, November 1, 2017

Reminder of new life......


Today I found this really interesting object.  It is hard to tell from the photo exactly what it is, but it is something I have never seen before.  It is an acorn from an oak tree that has started to grow.  It is especially significant to me because I found this acorn at Lucas' grave sight.  Our family had gathered there to remember Lucas on his 3rd birthday.  I have mentioned before that this cemetery is really beautiful.  It is filled with tall, old trees - including a towering oak tree that shelters Lucas' grave.  I noticed all the acorns scattered around, and this was the first one I picked up.  What a wonderful reminder of God's plan for new life.  It may seem odd, but standing in that place, holding on to this little acorn, I felt the presence of Jesus.  There was assurance and hope today.  Assurance that Lucas is safe with Jesus and hope in the knowledge that we will see him again one day.  And Grace is evidence of the new life that Jesus has brought to our family.

On our return to Doug and Susie's house, we took this picture.  I love that this picture has all six of my grandchildren - Lucas represented by his picture and our precious Lucas Bear.   At nine months old, Grace was really not aware of the purpose of our gathering today.  She was just happy being with her family. 
I would title this picture "Grace, surrounded by her adoring fans"!  And besides her cousins, there were two grandma's, a grandpa, an uncle, an aunt and mommy and daddy.  So there was plenty of hugging and kissing of that sweet face.  

Grace will grow up knowing about her older brother Lucas.  She will hear many stories about him and see reminders of him all around her.  I often watch as Grace looks carefully at the pictures of Lucas. While our family chooses to remember Lucas especially on his birthday, he is always in our hearts.  

I wrote a card for Lucas today.... it reads..
Lucas Jacob Rowley

We will always love you.
You are in our hearts forever.
We see you Celebrating with Jesus
there among the Angels and the Saints
Dancing in the Spectacular Glory.....
                   of Heaven!

It is so fitting that today is All Saints Day.  The old hymn "For All The Saints" was one of my mom's very favorite hymns.  I have been humming that song all day.  I especially like this verse (there are way a lot of verses of this hymn)....
O blest communion, fellowship divine!
We feebly struggle, they in glory shine;
All are one in Thee, for all are Thine.
Alleluia, Alleluia!

Yes, Lucas is shining in that glory right there with my mom.  How fitting since his name means "Light".  I can see that beautiful little boy, running and dancing in that amazing light of heaven.  

Jesus, thank you for that wonderful little sprouted acorn.  What a great reminder that you ARE the life and it is you that brings new life.  Thank you for time with family to remember and reflect.  Holy Spirit,, help us all to keep our eyes turned toward Jesus.  Jesus, give us all a hope and vision of heaven.   Amen   

No comments:

Post a Comment