Saturday, April 7, 2018

Well Ken and I had a really whirlwind day today.  We left the house at 8:00am and just now returned at 7:00pm.  Quite unusual for us.  The highlight of the day was a really special musical that our sweet Lia presented with her co-op friends.  I just can't say enough about this wonderful co-op that Gwen and Tim found for their home schooled kids. 
There is something so special about watching our Lia, with her friends, put on such a cute performance with an amazing message.  The show was a 1950's take on the Bible story of Joseph.  She did such an incredible job as one of the main characters, with many lines and solos.  Ken and I were just shaking our heads at the fact that she is almost DONE with 6th grade and will soon be a 7th grader!  It hardly seems possible that she will be 12 in a matter of weeks.  We were remembering our own 6th and 7th grade experiences and then talking about Gwen and Doug at 12.  And here is Lia, our granddaughter, so grown up.  Where does the time go?

On our way "up north" (Gwen and Tim live an hour north of us), we decided to take a side trip to the Chicago Botanic Gardens.  Ken had been there last week and  currently a photo exhibit is  there that he wanted to show me.  It was another bitterly cold day - sunny but the temperature was only in the 20's with a slight wind.  The exhibit was held in a building that also includes wonderful tropical gardens. 
There were so many blooming plants!  It was a wonderful taste of spring that was so needed!  We had snow showers on Friday and there is actually 1" of snow predicted for tomorrow and more on Monday.  Being in those hot houses certainly was a break from our dismal weather.  

After Lia's show we took the very long way home.  Ken decided to drive through some of areas that both he and I frequented during our high school years.  So much has changed that we could hardly recognize it.  It was fun to talk about those "good old days" and see some familiar sights.  

After a quick dinner, we decided to swing by the Morton Arboretum to see if any of the spring flowers were blooming yet.  Sadly, it is still brown and winter like there.  The daffodils are up about two inches, but not very close to blooming yet.  

On our way out of the Arboretum several deer crossed the road right in front of us.  They were so beautiful and it is interesting just how difficult it is to see them among the undergrowth.  Since it was almost dusk, I think that they were surprised to see a car driving down that road!  

So, yes, it was a full and busy day.  As I was putting these thoughts onto the page, I was thinking about three Bible verses.  First this verse about grandchildren.....
Proverbs 17:6   Children's children are a crown to the aged, and parents are the pride of their children.
Yes, our grandchildren are certainly a joy.  Each one seems exactly like a beautiful gem stone that might embellish a crown.  They are all so different, yet each cherished for their unique shape.  It is exciting, as a grandparent, to watch your grandchildren grow into their destiny and purpose.  

The second verse that came to my mind was 
Song of Solomon 2:11-12a  See!  The winter is past; the rains are over and gone.  Flowers appear on the earth; the season of singing has come.
Actually, I was singing a song in my head that is from Paul Wilbur, Dance with Me.   This song has always spoken to me and contains the line "winter has past and the springtime has come".  Right now this is really a prayer for the WINTER TO BE PAST!  

The third verse in my head was 
Psalm 42:1  As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, my God.  

That Paul Wilbur song is all about being close to Jesus.  It is exactly what David was talking about in Psalm 42.  Even when he was feeling down and despondent, he was hungry and thirsty for God.  This winter has been long and cold and snowy for so many of us this year.  It has seemed dark and dreary for oh so many months.  We all need some of that hot house sprinkle of spring.  We need hope!

I'm closing out this blog with a stanza of one of Lia's songs from her play today.  Even when the winter seems way, way too long, even when those flowers don't seem to want to bloom, no matter what.  Here is your dose of hope....

When I hear... (boom) I know my God is near.
He won't leave me when the storm is raging.
When I hear... (boom) I know my God is near.
He won't forget me when the earth is shaking
Rain or shine, he'll follow through
cause all of his promises are true.
When I hear....(boom) I know my God is near.

Jesus, thank you so much for your words of hope.  Thank you for children and grandchildren.  Thank you for musicals and songs that bring us hope.  Holy Spirit, remind us to look around and see the amazing world and all of creation.  Remind us to look for you to be near us when things seem dark.  Thank you Jesus for this wonderful day.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment