Thursday, August 22, 2019

Running into September...or at least walking very fast!

For some reason, this summer has just seemed to fly by.  Ken and I have had a lot of activities but it still seems like a much quicker summer than usual.  One of our favorite summer family activities is a trip to a local water park with all the kids and grand kids.  We like to go to a water park that is actually in Doug and Susie's park district.  It is small enough to be good for the little ones but has enough stuff to keep the older kids happy.  I especially like the zero depth entry pool that is large enough not to seem over crowded with people.  There is also a really nice lazy river.
 This year was not like the years before in that it was COLD!  The day was rainy in the morning but was supposed to clear in the afternoon.  Although it was supposed to be in the 80's, it sure didn't feel like it.  The kids all got cold quickly (with the exception of Zeke who is always hot).  And we actually had a 30 minute time out of the pool because the life guards saw lightning.  So, it was a very shortened time at the water park.  We all had fun anyway and ended the day at our family favorite Pizza place.  It is interesting to go to a restaurant and ask for a table for 11!  

Ken and I have so enjoyed our two hummingbird feeders.  We got them at the beginning of the summer and really didn't think we would have any luck attracting birds.  But, to our surprise, the birds seemed to flock to our feeder.  So we quickly went out and got a second feeder.   It is pretty interesting to watch all different sizes and types of hummingbirds come for a little taste!  Our newest feeder has a place for the birds to perch, but most still choose to hover while eating.  The very smallest birds can barely reach to eat if they perch.  It is really fun to see them go between the feeders and actually stop and look into the window at us!
Those little birds are so fast!  They dart and fly from feeder to tree to tree.  If you blink you actually can miss them.  The squirrels don't even seem to notice them.  Which I am sure is a good thing.  Those inexpensive feeders have brought Ken and I many hours of enjoyment.  Yep, watching birds is sure a hallmark of a "senior citizen" isn't it?

Spending time each week with all of the grand kids also make me acutely aware of my impending status as a true "senior" (when I turn 65 in a couple of weeks).  My time especially with Grace, who at 2 1/2 seems to be as quick as one of those hummingbirds, makes me feel my age!  
Just this week we had another rainy day that kept us inside for the better part of the day.  But just before it was time for mommy and daddy to get home, the sun broke through the clouds and she begged to  go outside.  So we put on our shoes and out we went.  Because it was very wet on the grass, I was limiting our play area to the sidewalk.  Grace spent almost an hour running back and forth trying to catch her own shadow and then pretending to tickle my shadow.  So much fun for a little one, with nothing but the sunshine and the sidewalk.  I am so thankful for the times that Grace climbs up on my lap and gives me hugs.  All of those hugs and cuddles help renew my energy for the rest of the very busy time when she is flitting around, just like those hummingbirds!  

Ken and I have an end of summer trip planned which will have us running into September - or at least walking fast.  We are checking off a couple of bucket list items on this trip, hoping for good weather for some outdoor fun.  I will be blogging as we go, so look forward to some pictures and hopefully good reports in the next  week!     I started to try and name all of the trips that Ken and I have taken since 1999 and the list is really long!  We feel so blessed to have been able to travel and visit so many places over these years  Of course, there are still so many places that we would love to go.  I guess it is time to create a new list of places to see!  In some ways it is so much easier to travel now that we are retired.  But in other ways it is more difficult.  We used to make these very long car trips - sometimes driving 15 hours in a day.  One time we actually drove 19 hours straight home from Florida!  These days we are more likely to look for car trips that are under 7 hours.  We really like to travel two or three hours and stop along the way.  It certainly limits our trips, but we have seen some really great things closer to home.  Our trip this week has only a couple of 5 hours drives and several drives of 2 hours.  And that it totally fine with me! 

I've been thinking a lot about turning 65.  In some ways it seems like I have been a "senior" for a long time - thanks to AARP that draws you in at 50!  I'm not sorry about that since we have gotten lots of discounts thanks to them.  But the whole social security/ medicare thing certainly makes you much more aware of your impending age.  Yet, over and over I have heard from preachers, teachers and prophets that there is so much in store for those of us "seniors" who are still marching on in the Lord's army!  I can't help but feel excited about the new things that might be ahead in the next few years.  Recently I was talking with a young man and sharing some stories from 30ish years ago.  I was reminded that the Bible was an oral testimony for many generations.  It was stories told by the elders to all of the children.  And the stories were told over and over.  I think we have lost the art of oral story telling.  Part of my drive to do this blog was to insure that my stories would be preserved for future generations at least in written form.  And my scrapbooks are a way to preserve pictures and stories for the same reason.  I think it is time for all of us to think about the stories, the testimonies that we can all share in some way - oral, written or in photos - with our children and grand children or just with our friends and neighbors.  I just had a picture in my mind of a little old grandma, sitting in a rocking chair with all of these kids gathered around her.  She was telling them tales from her past.  I think in my case, it is more likely that I will be texting my grand daughter while on the phone with my daughter, while watching another grand daughter run and play!  Yep, that sounds about right!

At any rate, all of us need to make an effort to keep the stories and testimonies from our life from being forgotten.  I encourage you all to take a couple of minutes and think about some way that God has met a need or answered a prayer for you.  When you have thought of a few examples, share them!  Tell somebody!  Tell me!  I would love to hear your amazing stories.  Make this September a month of sharing.  Let others celebrate all the wonderous things that Jesus has done for us!

Jesus, thank you so much for the changing seasons - both in the weather and in our lives.  Help us all to be present in each season.  Give us courage to face the changes that come, and most of all give us faith to walk on.  Thank you Holy Spirit for reminding us of God's faithfulness to us and to our families.  Give us boldness to share with others in the months ahead.  Amen



No comments:

Post a Comment