Friday, February 21, 2020

Progress - walking out of a difficult time

I really can't believe that it is the 21st of February.  I have lost most of January and most of February with Ken's health crisis.  But the very good news is that we are walking out of the crisis and back into our more normal routines. 
Ken actually drove over the last few days.  It felt really good to be a passenger once again!  I am not used to being the sole driver of the family.  And it was good for Ken to know that he was okay behind the wheel.  We thought that his IV antibiotics would be continued until at least the end of February.  So it was a (pleasant) surprise when the doctor's office called and summoned Ken back to the treatment center to have his IV removed.
The doctor transitioned Ken to oral antibiotics that are kinder on his system.  He will need to stay on these for a month, but it is progress!  This morning Ken stood in the shower for about half an hour.  That first shower after 6 weeks is pure heaven.  This morning Gwen and Doug both came over and all the grand kids had a a chance to play together.  It was a wonderful time to celebrate how well Ken is doing.  

During this blur of hospitals and doctors and IV's and worry, I have been so blessed by my wonderful friends.  This week a dear friend stopped by with homemade Chicken soup and crackers, which came with this adorable card..


I can't tell you what a  treat it was to have something delicious prepared for dinner, that I know also came with  many prayers.  Both Ken and I feel the power of the prayers of so many that have miraculously advanced his recovery so quickly.  

If there is one thing that I have had the time for in the last 6 weeks, it has been looking at magazines in waiting rooms through out the hospital.  I have scanned through some publications that I would never consider purchasing (or even looking at) if the situation was any different.  However, I picked up this magazine for the first time and was so impressed!
I confess that I am an HGTV fan and over the last weeks, that channel was playing often in Ken's room.  I love Chip and Joanna Gaines.  Of all the home improvement shows on that network, theirs is by far the best.  Their family focus and God focus come through in so many ways.  And this magazine was amazing.  I plan to get a subscription - something I never thought I would do.  There was so much more than decorating tips.  The interviews, the articles and even the ads are things that I want to spent my time thinking about, looking at and remembering.  I took a photo of one page that I just didn't want to lose.  
These are monthly prompts for journaling that will help to keep your focus where it needs to be.  While she doesn't talk about this from a Christian perspective, it is clear from each prompt that all the ideas reflect principles that are Biblical.  I love that through this "secular" publication, Joanna is reaching so many people in ways that will allow the Holy Spirit to touch them.  What an amazing gift.  I loved this family before I read this magazine, and more so now.  Finding this magazine was certainly a "God moment" for me.  Just one of many small things that kept my focus exactly where it needed to be.  

When you are doing the ordinary routines of life, it is easy to miss the ways that Jesus is watching out for you and your family.  But when you are in the midst of a crisis, those touches from the Lord become flashing beacons in the darkness around you.  From that first night and the Bible verse that was so perfect (see my last blog) to finding this magazine on a waiting room table, there have been countless, wonderful glimpses of the protecting, caring hand of God on Ken and our entire family.  I know that it is miraculous that Doug, Gwen and I did NOT get sick ourselves during this time.  We used tons of hand washing and sanitizer but still - the hospital was filled with so much flu and so many nasty viruses.  I know it was supernatural protection.  And none of the grand kids got sick either.  There were so many times I found parking spots right in front of the door to the hospital.  I could go on and on.  I found myself often reciting (silently) Psalm 23 - along with the reminder that we are WALKING THROUGH the valley of the shadow of death.  I am so thankful for all of the scriptures and songs that I have memorized that truly came into my mind (by the power of the Holy Spirit) at just the right moment.  Yes, God is so good.  I am very thankful.

Jesus, thank you for knowing exactly what we need and when we need it.  Holy Spirit, thank you for reminding us even when we don't ask.  Thank you for prompting the prayers of others for us when we can't even pray ourselves.  Jesus, thank you for friends who meet us just where we most need them.  And thank you for Chip and Joanna Gaines and their family.  Bless their business to reach many for your glory.   Amen  

No comments:

Post a Comment