Sunday, March 7, 2021

Starting March with Birthday fun and great weather


 

Here we go with another birthday!  Ellie turned 12!  That is so hard to imagine.  It seems that she was born just a short time ago.  She is pretty fond of "Hamilton" and you can see that in her gifts.  Her very excited expression reading her card is the promise it contained to see a "real" show as soon as Covid allows.  And we hope it can be Hamilton.  If not, it will be some other wonderful, on the stage presentation.  I took Lia when she was this age, and it is one of the best memories we have.  If not for Covid we would have already purchased tickets.  At least we have the HOPE of going soon.  

We actually had a family get together to sort of "celebrate" birthdays that we have missed.  It was so good to be together.  We all needed it.  


Grace came over to my house and played for a couple hours also last week.  It is soooo good to be getting somewhat back to normal.  I will be getting my second vaccine next week, as will Susie.  We have hope that Doug will be able to get his vaccines before the baby arrives in May.  Being able to resume some of our more "normal" activities has helped to make 2021 feel so much better than 2020.



It is such a blessing that the weather has changed and it seems that Spring has come.  Most of the snow has melted and we have had weather that you would have to call "balmy".  The birds are returning and I love listening to the bird songs early in the morning.  There is certainly a sense that times are changing.  I have been on a mission to start planning for the future.  Even though we still have so many restrictions in place, I am feeling the need to think about the places I want to visit.  I am quite anxious to have a "normal" scrapbooking weekend.  But sadly, most of our group are still feeling more comfortable being at home.  We are so hopeful that by the end of summer, we will be able to plan to be together.  

Ken's passing during this time of quarantine has made it very difficult for me to move into a new season.  Sometimes I try to imagine what these last 5 months would have looked like if I could have visited my friends, gone out for coffee, attended meetings and conferences and planned travel.  Truthfully, I feel like I am still stuck in 2020, for the most part.  I don't know about you, but I have been making myself go out, even when I don't have a real need to do so.  It is very easy to just get so used to being inside that you don't make the effort to even go out.  I am hopeful that the new, warmer weather will be an added incentive to leave the house.  

During the Lenten season I have been really seeking direction from the Lord that would help me look ahead and make plans.  The very frustrating thing for me was the lack of hearing anything at all.  I have certainly been in this place many times before, but it seemed so silly now.  In the past I have blamed busyness and activity as the reason that I just can't get quiet enough to really hear and get that sense of direction.  But if 2020 and 2021 have been one thing, it is QUIET!  Usually so, so quiet.  And then today, I saw this....  
   If God's voice seems silent, maybe he is whispering.  God whispers because he is so close to you!

Thinking about the closeness of God, and the comfort of that, sure puts things in perspective.  For now I will rest in the quiet.  And I will listen more carefully for that whisper of God.  If you are like me and longing to hear, wanting to have some clear direction, consider with me the closeness of God.  Train your ears to listen for that whisper.  One thing is certain, NOTHING can keep God from being close to us.  Not Covid, not an executive order, not fears, not whatever is happening around us.  Nothing can separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus.  Yes, he is close and he is whispering!

Jesus,  thank you for the reminder that you are close to me.  Holy Spirit, we so need that reminder that you are close to us and speaking to us.  Thank you for the changing of the seasons, the warmth of spring and the promise of new life.  Jesus help us to listen for your whispers.  Give us courage and boldness to continue to walk ahead.  Thank you Jesus.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment