Tuesday, August 24, 2021

Some fun Summer afternoon visits...

So you know how those Facebook ads can be so aggravating?  Well, I was actually quite happy to have seen a couple of interesting exhibits, both really close to my house.  The first was the Frida Kahlo art exhibit which featured original artwork and photos of Frida Kahlo.  I have only recently discovered Frida Kahlo (thanks to the Disney film "Coco"), but Ellie has read books about her and was fascinated with her handmade dresses (always the fashionista).  I offered a trip to see this exhibit to Gwen and all of the kids, but Ellie was the only taker.  We had a great "Grandma and Me Day".  

I love spending time with Ellie.  She is so articulate and really knows what she wants to do in the future.  She is a budding photographer and it made my heart so happy to watch her using Ken's "Walk around camera" to take photos on this trip.  Ken would be so glad that she is using this camera.



The second exhibit that I discovered through a Facebook ad was the Sistine Chapel exhibit.  I was really anxious to see how this digital presentation would look.  A trip to Italy seems unlikely, and even if I were to get there, seeing the Sistine Chapel artwork is done from a distance of 80 feet - looking up.  


The exhibit had some fairly mixed reviews, but I decided to go anyway.  I couldn't find anyone interested in going with me, so it was a solo adventure.  There were several video presentations that gave all the background information on the actual construction of the frescos.  Seeing these descriptions made the actual viewing of the panels up close all the more amazing.  The talent necessary to capture the realistic body shapes.  The Biblical interpretations are wonderful.  I could have spent hours just looking at each piece to take in the details.  One of the facts I learned from the videos is that Michelangelo was the first painter to ever show all of God the Father.  Before this, any artwork only shows a hand reaching from heaven or a golden cloud.  So these full body depictions of God are even more amazing.  Sadly I couldn't stand and look carefully at each panel because it was very crowded.  I did go back through more than one time and saw different things that I had missed on the first look.   I was very happy that I made the effort to see this.  

So, two very different exhibits.  One of a more modern artist, known for being a champion for women's rights and the LGBTQ community in Mexico.  And the other, a world renowned painter and sculptor from 1500's in Vatican City.  But there is much food for thought in both of these exhibits.  Walking through and taking in all the information about both artists helped bring an understanding and appreciation for their work.  Kahlo had a terrible accident in her teen years that caused a life time of pain and suffering.  Yet her work is not all gloom and doom.  She used vibrant colors and embraced her Mexican culture that was evident in all of her pieces.  And Michelangelo didn't even want to work on the ceiling frescos.  He was a sculptor first and that was his passion.  He was bribed into painting the frescos and wasn't happy doing them.  Yet God moved and these panels bring the pages of the Bible to life.  

There are great lessons to be learned from these two very different people separated by hundreds of years, many miles, and very different cultures.  Both of these artists had a Devine destiny - a plan and purpose for their life.  Both faced extreme hardships and ended up being recognized for something that wasn't even their "dream" or "passion".  Frida Kahlo loved her people and her culture.  She went against the social norms of her day and accomplished much more than you would expect from a crippled girl from Mexico.  One of her paintings is now in the Louvre in Paris - the first Mexican artist ever.  Michelangelo's sculptures are also amazing, but he brought us the Bible in art, with true inspiration from God.  Even if it took a bit of convincing for him to complete this project, it was done.  

I came away from these afternoon visits feeling very close to Jesus.  I could hear him whispering in my ear as I walked through the Frida Kahlo exhibit - "Love first".  There was so much love in her work.  She loved well and followed her heart.  So many of her clothes and paintings contained a rainbow of colors. And I was reminded to respond to all the rainbow flags just like Jesus would.... he would love first.  As I walked up close to each of the panels of the Sistine Chapel I could hear the reminder from Jesus that sometimes we need to let go of our "passion" to accomplish something so much greater than we could ever think or imagine.  And when we let go of our own plans, our own desires and the way we think things should go, THEN Jesus can do amazing things through us.   These were good lessons for me.  Loving first - even when we disagree.  Letting go - even when my plans seem so good and so right.  Jesus has got this.  He reigns and He is King of Kings and Lord of Lords!  He does amazing things!

Jesus, thank you for time to gain a new perspective through art.  Holy Spirit, continue to speak to us all as we go about our day to day tasks.  Give us gentle reminders of your direction - especially when we go off track in our own ways.  Jesus you always loved first.  You are love!  Thank you for teaching and leading and guiding us.  Amen







 

No comments:

Post a Comment