Wednesday, February 16, 2022

So many celebrations...

 It is really amazing how many celebrations our family can cram into just a couple of weeks!  It used to be that January and February were not big months for us, but things changed with two birthday's just a couple of days apart.  Eight years ago Anna was born on January 30.  And then five years ago, Grace decided February 1 was a great day for a birthday.  We all know that the last couple of years have been anything but normal.  Grace, sadly, doesn't  remember ever having a real birthday party.  Anna has been waiting for a party at a family favorite gymnastic facility, since she has been to many sibling parties there.  To add to the celebrations this year, Lia's Confirmation was on Anna's birthday.  

There is something so amazing about seeing your grandchildren publicly proclaim their faith in Jesus. Lia has grown into a wonderful "Disciple that Makes Disciples" (the motto of their church).  She is a leader in her youth program, friend to so many, teacher to young children, and servant to her church.  On any given Sunday she might be found leading games for the kids in the Rock (Sunday School) during the Discipleship hour, having conversation in the coffee house during fellowship time and then sitting in the "booth" doing slides for the Sunday Morning worship. Lia has a heart for missions and I will not be surprised to see her continuing to serve others in the future.  
I am so proud of Gwen and Tim as I have watched them parent their kids.  Seeing Lia declare her own faith in Jesus, to confirm her Baptism, makes this grandma reflect on the generations of our family who have made this step of faith.  Yes, Lia is the continuation of a long spiritual legacy that goes back generations.  She is the descendent of many who faithfully served Jesus.  

I got to celebrate Anna as she turned eight years old.  While we didn't actually celebrate on her birthday, it was the day after.
While I got to be with Anna on that day,  her big (long awaited) gymnastics party was two weeks later due to scheduling issues.  I love getting to be with the kids one-on-one, especially on these special days.  Although it wasn't a "big party" that day, it was special sharing with Anna, my memories of the day she was born.  The next day, I got to do the same thing with five year old Grace.
I happened to be watching Grace and James on the actual day of Grace's birthday.  Her "cousin sleepover and BIG party" (as Grace called them) were the next weekend.  I brought her five small gifts and we celebrated her birthday all day!  It as especially memorable for me.  Again, this time alone with the kids is just the best.  Thankfully, the days past quickly till the sleepover and BIG party! 
Yes, Susie and Doug actually braved a cousin sleepover with Ellie, Zeke and Anna spending the night with Grace.  They had a great time and there was actually sleeping that night!  The next day was the BIG party!
She was so excited to have an Encanto party and the cake was just unbelievably decorated and tasted wonderful as well.  Susie's family came, including her brother Scott (who we have not seen since Covid) so it was really nice for our families to be together, 

I love that we always take these photos when the kids are together.  I have a great collection of photo's showing the kids growing up together.  And then I casually snapped this photo of Gwen and Doug with Doug's kids.
Grace was so excited for the candy from her Pinata!  The Pinata was one of the things that she was most looking forward to.  I love seeing my adult children together enjoying each others kids.   There is really nothing better!

FINALLY, it was time for Anna's gymnastics party.  She was so excited to FINALLY be the birthday kid for this party.  Honestly, they do such a good job at this location and the kids jump, swing, run, and have a blast on all the equipment for an hour and a half and then have cake.  It is so much better than having the wildness at your house and so much more fun for the kids.  


As I was writing this blog and looking through my photos, I realized that the celebrations actually started one day before Anna's birthday.  Susie, Grace and I were able to help celebrate a coming new baby, with my great niece Angela and her husband David.  Angela is my sister Julie's granddaughter.  

This shower was an outdoor, drive by kind of event, thanks to Covid.  This is totally understandable since the Covid numbers in our area have been really high.  Even so, we loved being able to help celebrate this new expected little girl.  We had a chance to talk about Angela's grandma Julie (my sister).  Sadly, Julie died the next day.   It really felt like this was another way that Jesus helped me represent Julie and be there for Angela. Family ties are just so important.  

I am preparing to travel to Minnesota for the funeral for my sister Julie.  Each of these events has my mind going with memories and thoughts.  Being together to celebrate Julie's life will be a time for me to connect with her children and grandchildren after many years.  I remember my mom saying that so often families only saw each other at weddings and funerals.  Sadly, this is still true today.   But I welcome this time to visit and support Julie's family.  I am going to also be able to visit with my brother Jerry and his wife Thoralee.  Again, we just don't see each other often. The ties that keep us bound together as family don't depend on physical closeness or even times that we can see each other.  I have been remembering that my family - my extended family - included immigrants in both my mom and dad's family.  They left all of their family in countries across oceans and begun new lives.  

Covid has taught us all that being together and celebrating are extremely important. All of these events- birthdays, confirmations, baby showers, funerals - help us to keep our eyes outside of ourselves.  Being isolated so much the last couple of years has certainly turned us inward.  Since Ken died I have had to be intentional about going out and looking outward.  Doing these blogs has helped me to remember that I have been successful!  I have been connecting and making memories IN SPITE of Covid.  

After Lia's Confirmation, Gwen and I were talking about our own Confirmation days. Pastor Dave did something at Lia's Confirmation that was so amazing.  Before the Confirmations, there was a Baptism and the Baptismal Font was at the front.  As Pastor Dave prayed for each of the youth being Confirmed, he took water from the Font and "Blessed" them.  What a powerful reminder of the purpose of Confirmation - a "Reaffirmation of Baptism".  Here is Lia at her Baptism.

And I will leave this blog with Lia's Confirmation verses, given to her by Pastor Dave.
        And you also were included in Christ when you heard the message of truth, the gospel 
of your salvation.  When you believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised
Holy Spirit, who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those 
who are God's possession - to the praise of His glory.       Ephesians 1:13-14

Jesus, thank you for celebrations with family and friends.  Holy Spirit, help us to keep our eyes off of ourselves.  Remind us of the Spiritual legacy that fills our families.  Most of all, let us see things from your perspective, Jesus.  Thank you for your love and care.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment