Friday, April 22, 2022

What a spectacular week - Palm Sunday, Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, Easter!

Everyone knew that 2022 was going to be different than the last couple of years.  We finally had some sense that the pandemic might really end.  It also looked like it might be spring on the horizon (or so we thought).  For me the entire week, from Palm Sunday to Easter, was an unexpected, wonderful, amazing time.  Easter ended with about an inch of snow overnight.  So we might have to wait a bit for that springtime.  These sweet faces bring me so much joy.  It was truly a season to remember.  


This picture reminds me of some of the very high points of the week for me.  Beginning on Palm Sunday.  The top left picture might not look like a "typical" Palm Sunday celebration. You can't see any palm branches waving.  But what it IS, is so much more.  My church has always had a "Palm Sunday Pilgrimage".  The entire congregation is encouraged to walk to church on that Sunday.  This helps to appreciate exactly what Jesus and his followers were experiencing on that first Palm Sunday.  Jerusalem was seeing thousands (maybe millions) of people flood in for the upcoming festival.  It was a big party.  And that is exactly what we had that day at church.  After walking in with over 50 children, youth and adults,  the service was a true celebration.  The most meaningful Palm Sunday I have ever had. 

The top right picture is another "unusual" service.  In past years with Lia and Zeke's first Communion, I have blogged about this Maundy Thursday service that is like no other.  This year was Ellie's first Communion.  Every family gathers at their own table, and during the Communion time, the oldest at each table serves everyone.  So, this year, I got to give Ellie her first Communion.  A truly amazing and awe inspiring time.  

The bottom left picture was Good Friday.  Most people would recognize this service as what you would expect.  The story of Jesus' last week was retold and as the story progressed, candles were extinguished until only the Christ Candle was left burning.  As the service concluded, Anna sang "This Little Light of Mine" as she carried that candle out of the church.  We were left sitting in the darkness of the hour.  I have never felt the finality of that darkness more than that night.  But more importantly, as we all know, Friday might be dark, but Sunday is on the way!  The Easter Celebration began with Anna once again singing "This Little Light of Mine" as she brought the Christ Candle back into the Sanctuary.  And a wonderful celebration it was!  He is risen!  He is risen indeed!

The bottom left is, of course, my family.  Being together and being entirely us.  We had a wonderful day doing all of the usual Easter stuff.  


The kids had their traditional egg hunt but this year Lia hid the eggs for the younger kids.  After she was done, only her eggs remained (each of the kids gets a special color egg making it easy for them to find their own eggs).  Tim was busy cooking dinner, so I volunteered to hide the eggs for Lia.  When the egg hunt was done, Lia could not find 4 of her eggs.  And this grandma had no idea where I had hidden them!  I took special notice of the places I thought she would never look, and she easily found those eggs.  But the elusive four eggs were nowhere to be found.  Gwen finally decided that squirrels must have taken them!  Which, given their property, might actually be possible!  Maybe sometime over the next few months, those eggs might show up?  One thing is certain, Grandma will not be hiding eggs again!

On the drive home I was reflecting on the amazing week.  It actually took my breath away.  There were so many "God moments" and breath taking times that it was hard to take it all in.  I experienced this season in new ways that I am still taking time to digest.  It is  good to know that I am not too old to grow and learn.  The entire way home, I found myself singing, "This Little Light of Mine" and thinking about all of the verses of that song...

This little light of mine!  I'm going to let it shine.  All around the neighborhood, I'm going to let it shine. Hide it under a bushel -NO!  I'm going to let it shine. Don't let Satan blow it out! I'm going to let it shine,  Let it shine till Jesus comes! I'm going to let it shine.

That is is good way to begin this new season.  Letting my light shine.  What a great reminder for all of us.  Let us shine more and argue less.  Let us shine more and worry less.  Let us shine more and take sides less.  Let us shine more!

Jesus, thank you for continuing to challenge me and encourage me to grow and learn.  Holy Spirit help us all to live in the joy and wonder of Easter as we move ahead.  Remind us that Sunday is coming when we are stuck in the darkness of Friday.  Give us courage to shine when we are faced with tough situations.  Give us boldness to shine in the strongest opposition.  Jesus thank you for you love!  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment