Friday, April 15, 2022

Is it really April or is it still winter?

The first weekend of April, I finally got to help Doug celebrate his early March birthday!  It was a tradition for Ken and I to take Doug out for some good barbeque on his birthday.  Ken's favorite spot was Uncle Bub's and Doug also enjoys this.  It is a bit of long drive for us, but it is worth it!  However, on this day in early April, IT WAS SNOWING!  Not at all what we expected.  Still, so good to finally taste the wonderful food.  This was James first time in a restaurant and he did great!  As Doug said, "His head is on a swivel!"  He looked around and happily ate whatever small bits he was given.  Grace loved her food and even got ice cream for dessert!  This was my first time back at Uncle Bubs since Ken died which was a bit bittersweet.  It was a wonderful dinner and so fun to be together.


While my weeks are always busy, I usually have my weekends free.  But since April 1st, that has changed.  I realized that my Saturdays are booked until June 25!  I really don't know how that happened, but I am gearing up for some good times.

I got invited to accompany Ellie's Girl Scout troop on a recent excursion to a sheep farm and needlecrafting store.  I think that I had as much fun (or maybe even more) than the girls did. Anna got invited on the trip since the troop leader's younger daughter was also joining the fun.  Again, it was not typical April weather - it was cold and windy!  Cold enough for winter coats, hats and gloves.  

Esther's Place, in Big Rock, Illinoi is quite an amazing place.  They have a yarn store "in town" (I use this term very loosely since Big Rock is very small - think population of 1,000 and most of that is nearby farms).  They own a sheep farm nearby and actually process the wool from the sheep into this amazing yarns which are sold in the store.  All of the yarns are dyed with natural materials. The store is an explosion of color and textures.  Simply amazing. The activity includes going to the farm and meeting the sheep! 


Both Anna and Ellie had fun feeding the sheep some grain.  These sheep are wonderfully cared for and you can tell they are well loved.  The Ram was bleating away at us the entire time we were there.  Several of these sheep will soon be new mommies and you could recognize their waddle! The sheep also are wearing their "big coats" and will soon have their yearly shearing.  Really neat to see the farm and the other animals also (a very friendly chicken, some not-so-nice ponies that were rescued, and one special sheep that was hand raised after being rejected by her mom).   We also got to see the greenhouse where all of their organic vegetables are getting their start.  

Then it was back to the store to complete a really fun Needle felting project. Part of the package deal included a very fancy hot cocoa treat served in fancy teacups.  Anna said it reminded her of Fancy Nancy. 
When the projects were completed, they were amazing.  If I hadn't done one myself I would not have believed how easy this was.  It is really different holding materials that you know came from the very sheep that you just fed! 

We finished off the day with a wonderful lunch at a nearby kid-friendly fast food.  Time spent with the grandkids is simply the best.  Hands down.  

The timing of this trip was perfect.  Just as we approach Easter.  I can not stop thinking about those sheep.

During a recent Bible Study, we learned that the "headers" in our Bibles are very different in our western countries than in Eastern countries.  The headers are the extra titles that break up the text throughout the Bible.  Luke 15 begins with the header "The parable of the lost sheep".  And that story of the shepherd leaving the 99 to find the 1 lost sheep, is how most of us know that story.  We see that story about US.  In the Eastern mindset (how Jesus thought and taught) this story is the story of the "Good Shepherd".  It is all about who God is and his character.  Jesus is the good shepherd.  He does care about the one who is lost.  This one powerful truth - just thinking about the perspective of a story - has changed the way I read my Bible everyday.  I am now reading to find God's character first and then seeing how that might apply to me.  Take my word for it!  It is worth trying!

Those sheep I saw that day, have a very good shepherd who tends well to them.  They are happy and well fed and well cared for.  A visit to a sheep farm after this powerful Bible study was just what I needed.  And the Good Shepherd knew that!  

Jesus, thank you for time with family, for cuddles with grandchildren.  Thank you for good food and fellowship around a table.  Thank you for farms and animals and those who tend them.  Holy Spirit, remind us to shift out thinking, to seek a new perspective.  Give us eyes to see and ears to hear what you might be saying to us.  Thank you for being our good shepherd.  Amen


 

No comments:

Post a Comment