Sunday, March 12, 2023

Knowing your identity

 As usual, our family has been busy over the last few weeks.  I am always surprised when I look at a calendar and realize just how fast time seems to be slippling by.  Here it is, already almost the middle of March and almost spring.  However, a glance out my window this morning says Spring is far, far away after a nighttime snowfall.  It did feel much more "spring-like" a few weeks ago when our family got together for a weekend at Great Wolf Lodge, thanks to a generous Christmas gift from Doug and Susie.  If you have never been to an indoor waterpark resort, geared for children, you will not appreciate just how wonderful these places can be.  


The first picture, taken on our arrival to the park, did not include Tim. He was working and joined us a few hours later.  So I had to include the bottom picture as proof that he really was there!  Recently, I saw a post from an unhappy person, complaining that Great Wolf Lodge was overcrowded with kids!  EXACTLY!  Its wonderful to have a place where kids can just have fun.  Even Jimmy, not yet two years old, had an incredibly great time.  There were slides and pools just right for him.  We even had ajoining rooms so that we could relax and have dinner at our leisure.  It actually snowed the night we were there, which made the warm water and air temperature even better.  Fun was had by every member of the family.  

Before we knew it, it was Ellie's 14th birthday and Doug's 41st birthday.  This shared birthday is always memorable.  Ellie was born a few weeks before her due date and being on Doug's birthday was unexpected!  

I is always difficult to find exactly the right gift for a teenager.  Thankfully Ellie made an Amazon wish list, so this Grandma was successful at finding things.
This dress and purse brought a smie to Ellie's face.  The funny thing about this dress is that I had an almost identical dress, way back in 1969 or 1970!  It was even almost the same pattern.  It sure is funny how fashion comes and goes and then comes back.  I haven't gotten to celebrate Doug's birthday yet (coming later today), but his gift came off of an Amazon wish list also!  What did we do before Amazon?

Around Anna's birthday, Gwen mentioned that I had never made Anna a blanket!  In thinking back on this, I realized that I needed to correct that oversight!  So I let Anna pick out the yarn that she wanted for her special blanket.  

She asked for the blanket to have her name on it, so this is the result!  I have made "name" blankets for Grace and Jimmy and Anna wanted something similar!  This blanket turned out to have a very special connection to the prophetic word I had for Anna before she was born.  The colors, the decoration and her name make this exactly the right blanket for her today! That is a story for another time.

And then, last week, I snapped this photo of my "Grand-dogs" while I was at Gwen's house.
Chandler and Sunny are almost always as glad to see me as the kids are!  And I love seeing them.  They are surely part of our family.  Chandler is getting older now and is much less likely to stray very far from home.  Sunny, on the other hand, is young and new to the family.  Additionally, because of being rescued out of a really bad situation, her behavior is still unpredicable.  Gwen and Tim immediately bought a tracker tag for Sunny's collar so that she could be found quickly if she got away.  Chandler wears a name tag with information in case he ever ventured away.  These tags are evidence that Chandler and Sunny are part of our family - it is their identity. 

Today, as I was preparing to write this blog, Gwen sent me this photo on a text. Apparently, Tim discovered this in the bottom of a box of "stuff" in their garage.  Gwen had no idea it was even there.
If you squint really hard at the picture, you will see that this is the tag that Sheba, the dog Ken and I bought before Gwen was born, wore on her collar. 
She had no idea that I was going to be writing this blog and including informtion about Chandler and Sunny and their tags.  But it is a reminder that our identity is not lost, no matter how many years pass.  Sheba was part of my family and that was her identity.  Here is a bonus photo or Sheba and me taken in 1978, shortly after Ken and I got her.
Additionally, it is certainly evidence to me, that God is in the writing of this blog!  He knew that today - exactly - I would want that picture, of that tag.  Isn't it amazing to be a part of God's familly?

Knowing and celebrating our idenities is so important!  Every time my family is together, it represents an acknowledgment of our belonging.  Our birthdays, our names, our family - this is all one part of who we are.  Knowing your identity in Christ is even more important than all of those.  When we are following Jesus, our identity shapes how we live our life and what is important to us.  If we forget WHOSE we are, we can be confused about WHO we are.  And I was realized today, that it is because of knowing that my identity is in Jesus, that I was called to even be sharing these blogs.  I may not be a "professional" writer or have a degree in Literature, but Jesus has told me to write, so I write!  And that is part of my identity.  Celebrate your identity today.

Jesus, thank you for bringing me into your family.  Holy Spirit, remind us that we belong and we are not alone.  Give us courage and boldness to be and do the things that you put before us.  Help us see and follow your direction.  Give us peace when we step out into places that seem scary.  Give us assurance that you are with us.  Thank you for caring about the small things!  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment