Sunday, August 20, 2023

It was kind of a "dance" weekend for me!

 Friday was one of those extra special days for me.  I got to accompany Lia and Gwen to a Ballet Specialty store for a fitting for new Pointe Shoes! 

This is actually Lia's third pair of Pointe Shoes, but it is still amazing to see!  The first pair were purchased in 2020 and I remember how nervous Lia was that she would never get "off the barre".  Here she is with much more confidence, three years later!  

After making the final decision about the exact feel and fit, the purchase was completed.  I was a bit sad when Lia said, "Take a picture of my last time getting Pointe Shoes."  I know that she is 17 and doesn't think (at this time) that she will continue to dance.  But considering all the hours and hours she has spent in practice since 2009, it is hard to believe.

 One of my first, very favorite books (when I was in second grade) was called "On Your Toes, Susie" and I had almost memorized that book.  I was surprised to see that it is still available!
I always dreamed about dancing and especially dancing on pointe.  I never had any ballet training and Gwen was much more interested in gymnastics than ballet.  When Lia first started dance, I never imagined I would see her on Pointe!  I am sure that Lia might not be happy with me sharing the following pictures, but for this grandma, these are things that I will never forget....

These pictures are from 2009 when Lia started Ballet at Dance Connection in Grayslake, Illinois.  The teacher in the blue shirt in the last picture, is the owner of the studio, Ms Bridget Blake!  And she is still one of Lia's teacher today!  I wonder if she imagined that the little girl in the pink leotard who she led across the floor, would still be dancing 14 years later!  

Yes, Dance Connection is certainly a big part of the life at the Johnson household.  Not only Lia, but also Ellie and Anna dance every week.  This year was another first for us.  Lia, Ellie and Anna all danced in the annual Grayslake Parade as a part of the Spotlight group from Dance Connection.  
This was Anna's first year, dancing in the parade and she was very nervous!  I was so glad that I got to the parade this year.  I'm not sure why, but I have missed the pervious parades.  This is also the first time that all three girls have been in the same dance production.  Anna is so happy to have a chance to dance with Lia and Ellie!  
This is Ellie!

Here is Anna!

And this is Lia!

Given my past few months, I have been thinking a lot about my childhood and various memories.  I was always reading and I know that it was an escape for me.  I could imagine myself in different circumstances and in amazing places, having adventures.  I don't think I realized just how much the books that I read and loved, have influenced my life.  This is just one example!  I loved the Little House on the Prairie books and here I am, writing a book that starts on the Prairie in the late 1800's.  

What an excellent reminder for us all that our dreams may not be realized in exactly the way that we thought!  I never became a pointe dancer.  Gwen didn't do ballet.  Yet here is Lia, dancing on toe!  My dream has become a reality in my life, just not how I expected.  When I was little, I imagined living on a lake, having a house right on the water.  This was birthed out of many happy days spent at our vacation lake cabin on Lake Maud.  While I don't live on a lake, Gwen and Tim do! I have spent many happy days at their home, enjoying their lake front property.  Again, not exactly how I thought my dream would be realized, but I am sure enjoying what it is!  

I love how Jesus knows the desires of our hearts and brings those to us, sometimes in unexpected ways and much differently than we thought we wanted.  After a weekend like this, I am more convinced that Jesus knew my heart as a little girl of seven.  And this weekend, I realized just how special it is that my dream about dancing has come to pass.  I bet that if you actually looked at some of those dreams and desires from your childhood, you also would find ways that Jesus has brought them into your life, that were not exactly like you thought.  What a joy it is to know that, no matter how long it might take, Jesus will bring us exactly what we need and desire!  Even when those things include that very unexpected plot twist!  

Jesus, thank you for children and grandchildren.  What a joy it is to see children learning and growing.  Holy Spirit, help us to see with new eyes, the ways that long forgotten dreams and desires have been met for us.  Jesus, thank you for knowing our hearts and giving us exactly what we need, when we need it.  Thank you for pictures that help us preserve our memories.  Amen




 

No comments:

Post a Comment