Saturday, August 12, 2023

Where do I go from here?

As promised, I am going to be sharing a couple of photos of my biological paternal line.  It has been so good to have photos - faces with names.  I would not have this except for the kindness and welcoming of Mike Hedlund, my first cousin.  Getting to know a bit about Mike and his family (now my family) has been such a joy.  I am fully aware that Jesus has opened this door for me.  So many others, who have unexpected DNA results, spend years (and often thousands of dollars) to get information on their ancestors.  My experience of having closure on this subject after only a couple of months, is unique.  I am so thankful for the open doors and the available internet that allowed me to connect and then receive so much information without waiting weeks for mail to arrive.


This picture is my biological dad Don Hedlund - seated in the chair.  Behind him is my half brother Tom on the left and then my half brother's son Scott on the right.  Both my father and half brother are now dead, and I don't have any contact information for my half nephew.  But, it is so good to actually have this three generation picture.  

These are my paternal grandparents David and Gladys Hedlund.  They lived in the Duluth, Minnesota area all of their lives.  I don't have many details about them, but again, so thankful for this picture.
This picture is my great grandparents, Anders and Lydia Hedlund.  They emigrated from Sweden and settled in the Duluth, Minnesota region.  

Without my contact with my cousin Mike, I would not have these photos.  I am so thankful.  The most interesting thing about this "unexpected plot twist" is that my genetic ethnicity is very close to what I had expected to find.   The fact that my biological dad was also Swedish and his mother was German made my genetic ethnicity so similar to my EXPECTED results.   Without the advancement of DNA science and the ability to sort maternal/paternal DNA, I might never have made this discovery.  

It has been a bit of a whirl since finding out this information.  But the great measure of peace that has flooded my soul and spirit has made this experience much less frightening and more exciting.  There are still so many unanswered questions, but I am okay with that.  The hardest part for me, right now, is that I have really not had much contact with my extended family.  I have so many cousins (now not my cousins) on my "dads" side, and I have not really had contact with them. My closest family (siblings) have said that this doesn't change anything for them.  But I wonder exactly what the extended family think.  I am the youngest of all the cousins on my "dad's side.  And most of the cousins really didn't know me at all, given the wide age spacing. But I am interested in their thoughts on this!  

So now, where do I go from here?  I firmly believe that Jesus has brought revelation of this information for a reason.  I have been writing a book about the Spiritual Heritage of my family, and this is really a key piece of the story.  I do not know (and never will) the actual events that resulted in my birth, but I know that Jesus has a plan and purpose for me, that includes the people shown above.  My book will now have a couple of extra chapters.  When I began my book, I was writing about my mother's parents.  So much of their story is unknown.  Based on that, the story that unfolded is "fiction based on fact".  I had thought that as I continued writing about my own parents, I would be telling a totally factual story.  However, with this discovery, even that portion will be "fiction based on fact."  I am confident that the words that I put on the page will be exactly what Jesus wants me to share.  And so, I continue to write.  

Jesus, thank you that what is revealed, can be healed.  Thank you for the gift of connection to Mike and his family.  Holy Spirit, help us to be sensitive to those around us who might be dealing with very big issues.  Give us courage to reach out and help others who are walking thought difficult revelations.  Thank you for your great love for us that brings peace even during hard times.  Amen   
 

2 comments:

  1. Rejoicing with more revelation and photos of your bio father, half brother, nephew and paternal grandparents. God is good and He is working all things, the challenging and yet exciting revelations and navigating this new chapter to your life story for your well being and His glory!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a journey! Thank God for DNA and photographs. Wonderful story!

    ReplyDelete