Saturday, July 29, 2023

So much to write about - so little time to write!

This last month has been something else.  Something else, indeed!  Although I had made the discovery of my paternal DNA, and on paper, knew my ancestors/relatives, I had not had any luck connecting with a living person on my biological father's side of the family.  That is, until last week.  Previously, I had contacted a "potential" cousin via messenger, who said that "possibly" she might have relatives that had lived in South Dakota.  And then, nothing - no further contact.  And then later, I had actually discovered my half brother's daughter on Facebook.  However, my attempts to connect with her were not good.  She refuses to believe that her grandfather would have ever done "something like that".  After a brief message interchange, she also blocked me.  So, with a "last ditch" effort, I once again, messaged all of my cousins, hoping and praying one would hear my desperate plea to just have some information.  I don't even remember including a link to my blogpost about my DNA discovery.  But I had included the link.  

That day, I actually connected with my first cousin via email and then telephone.  He was completely accepting since the fact was our shared DNA made us undeniably first cousins.  As he said, "DNA doesn't lie"!  Not only did he provide me with family details, information I could not find anywhere else and also a 5 generation family tree, but 45 pictures of my paternal family.  He actually only met my biological father twice, but he remembers him being 6'5" and having a size 16 shoe.  Needless to say, this is a lot to process.  I haven't even had time to share the pictures with Gwen and Doug yet.  Between their busy schedules and mine, there has not been time!  But watch for future blogs with pictures of my new-to-me family and ancestors!  So, what have I been up to?

We took a family visit to the local Lego Discovery Center.  When I tell you this was a "pre-planned" visit, I mean it!  This is actually the fulfillment of a 2019 Christmas present!  Than there was Covid and the lock-down and then there was Jimmy (born in 2021) and not ready for Lego's until this year.  We had so much fun as a family and all of us (well, except Ellie) loved the 4D movie!  Jimmy even left the glasses on for the entire thing!  
We concluded the day with our family favorite - Portillos.  It is really something to do an order for 11 people!   But everyone always eats all their food when we go there.  It was interesting for me to sit next to Doug and watch him eat his Maxwell Polish.  It was Ken's favorite at Portillos.  Whenever our family is together, it is these little things that pop up and remind me of all Ken is missing out on.  

After a "normal" week and time to catch my breath, this past week was Bible Boot Camp Week at Fellowship of Faith!  
This year I helped out mostly with snacks and also helped out setting up some stations.  In my last blog I talked about taking Grace to a VBS program.  Now, it was Lia, Ellie, Zeke and Anna's turn!  Bible Boot Camp is not like a traditional VBS program in some ways.  However it is EXACTLY like any VBS because the kids hear Bible stories, they sing songs that help them remember the stories, they memorize Bible verses and have a wonderful time doing it!  Bible Boot Camp is an OUTSIDE program with obstacle courses, water balloons and slip and slide, plus capture the flag.  I think this might have been the first year that severe thunderstorms brought the fun inside for most of one morning.  The leaders did an amazing job setting up an indoor obstacle course, and the kids claimed it just might have been the best ever.  Thankfully, by capture the flag time, the severe weather had passed and outside play was able to happen.  Nothing beats seeing a church full of kids and youth and young adults singing and dancing and just having a celebration.  Each day had a "service project" that was completed at home. My favorite project this year, was a "Birthday Cake in a Pan" for the local food pantry.  Each family filled a foil cake pan with a box cake mix, a can of frosting and a can of soda.  You don't need any other ingredients so anyone receiving this from the food pantry can make a cake for a special occasion.  I don't know the exact number but a guess is around 40 will be delivered to the food pantry.  This project touched every child there. What a great way to extend the love of Jesus through a celebration! 

There is something about seeing families serving and learning together that is so good.  I was not the only grandma helping out!  My friend Colleen (another grandma) and I served snacks this year.  It was also wonderful to see several grandpas come to help with Firm Base  (Gwen and Tim's ministry - click the link to learn more) current mission while their grandkids were in Bible Boot Camp.  This "Container Home" project is in support of Good Samaritan Ministries in the East St. Louis area.  
These old shipping containers are given a second chance by recycling them into homes for the many homeless people in the East St. Louis area.  Firm Base acquired these two containers which have been cleaned, painted and converted into usable space.  There is interior wiring and plumbing pre-set as well as drywall.  When this pre-finish is completed, these will be transported to Good Samaritan, where they will be set on foundations and connected to water/sewer and power.  This project has several completed homes, already occupied by people who had no where to live.  I can't think of any better way for kids to see service in action than through their friends and family.   This week, all the kids at Bible Boot Camp played, ran and shouted right by these container homes as the grandpa's worked!  And most of the youth and young adults who were helping with Bible Boot Camp had already cleaned and painted and pulled weeds around the existing container homes in East St. Louis.  This photo is from the Boulder Mission Trip in early June, 2023.
Having these Container Homes right on the property of Fellowship of Faith brings the Mission Trip back home and helps shares the mission.  Seeing moms and dads and grandmas and grandpas making time to help others, will help change the world of tomorrow. 

I have seen Jesus working in so many ways during these past few months.  In just a matter of weeks, I found out more about my parentage, connected the dots to find my family, got connected with the right person, have photo's and information to fill a family tree and even more.  I have also celebrated being together with my family, enjoyed spending time with my grandkids, had time with friends, and even had some time just enjoying the outdoors (when it wasn't a heat advisory or an air quality alert).  In it all has been a great measure of peace.  I can't recall a time when I have felt more joy and more peace in just the normal day-to-day.  Every day has brought something new to me. A new understanding, a new discovery, a new thought.  New is especially good when you are approaching your 69th birthday and so many things seem old.  Someone recently asked me how I was "handling" finding out all my growing up years contained hidden untruths.  I am so thankful that Jesus is taking care of it all.  The evidence of this is that peace and joy.  I wake up each day, thankful for all the new that is ahead.  That is good advice for everyone, not just us old folks!  

Jesus, thank you for always being with me.  For your presence in my life, your peace and your joy.  Holy Spirit, remind us each day to walk forward into the new that you are bringing to us.  Keep our eyes set on you, Jesus as we share you with the world around us.  Amen


1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed your blog on our family history. Hope this all fills some empty spots in your life that you've been searching for. Love and hugs, Mike (1st cousin)

    ReplyDelete