Sunday, July 16, 2023

Already been a busy July!

 I am always amazed at just how fast the weeks go by.  Spending one day at Gwen and Tim's and one day at Doug and Susie's keeps me on my toes!  The Fourth of July was a really hot day.  I went with Susie and Grace to a local parade in the morning, along with Susie's parents.  Doug stayed home with Jimmy who was feeling under the weather and had a slight fever.  Being outside in the sun with the temperature in the 90's didn't seem like a good idea!  It was a fun "candy-filled" parade as usual..  The next day was hot as well and Grace and Jimmy (who was feeling much better) spent several hours in the pool!


Jimmy has no fear and stood at the top of the slide and jumped face first into the pool!  He needs a life jacket at any pool deeper than two inches, for sure!  

Grace was counting down the days until it was time for her "sleep over" with Anna.  It was another "Mission Trip" weekend - this time for the kids in 6th - 8th Grade.  Zeke was especially excited about this trip, since it was his first!  The older kids were the the leaders for this trip (along with the adult Bolder Leaders, of course) so Ellie, Lia, Gwen and Tim were gone also.  That left just Anna home with Grandma!  So we planned to bring Grace along to let these cousin/friends enjoy a couple of days together.  



Grace had been waiting to swim in the "Cousin's pool" for so long.  Sadly, it was a cold and rainy couple of days.  Needless to say, we braved the 70 degree cloudy weather and went swimming both days, between rain storms.  The girls camped out in the living room, in popup tents.  We played many games, watched a movie, had a picnic lunch outside,  painted, made beaded bracelets, made some suncatchers and did more painting.  We also visited a playground, had an ice cream treat, ate breakfast at a restaurant, AND THIS WAS JUST A TWO DAY SLEEPOVER!  Needless to say, this grandma had a great time.   Anna found "Matching dresses" in her closet, so they both wore these dresses on the last day.  
I somehow did not take a picture of the girls wearing these dresses (a grandma fail for sure), but did snap this picture of them working very intently on some coloring.  It was cold and rainy that day, but both insisted they were not at all cold in these very summery dresses!  Anything for fashion - and matching - I guess!  

This past week I helped drive Grace to Vacation Bible School at a nearby church.  Because Grace and Jimmy are in daycare two days a week, I needed to do the driving so she wouldn't miss out on this program.  She had a wonderful week at "Compassion Camp"  and I sure enjoyed watching the closing program on the day's I drove her back and forth.  My heart is certainly tied to Children's Ministry and there is nothing I love more than seeing groups of kids learning about Jesus.   Grace was especially interested in the collection that was taken to help support a local homeless shelter.  The goal was $200 for this community ministry.  I love that Grace is loudly singing all of the songs she learned this week and asks me to play them all the time.  

I can't wait for Bible Boot Camp - the Vacation Bible School program - that Gwen leads, which is the last week of July.  The first year I helped Gwen with this program, Anna was only two and a half!  You can expect a full report later this month.  I have so many great memories of leading Vacation Bible School programs.  I am so thankful that I still get to experience the joy and wonder and fun that these programs bring.  

I was remembering the one time that I went to Vacation Bible School.  I was in 3rd Grade and a neighbor (who we really didn't know) came over and invited me to attend the program at their church.  It was a Lutheran church - but not the church that we attended.  My mom was not so sure this was a good idea since she didn't really know this family at all, but I really wanted to go.  This church was across the street from my school and I knew some of the kids from my class that went to that church.  In looking back at this experience, I am so thankful for the willingness of this neighbor (whose name I don't even remember) to bring me each day.  During that program, I made a mosaic picture of a cross that I still have!  I also received my first "real" catechism, which is still on my bookshelf.   My attendance at church and Sunday School during my grades school years was spotty, at best.  With my mom working full time and my dad traveling almost every week, Sundays were busy with household chores and rest.  We also spent most weekends at our cabin from May through October.  This experience at Vacation Bible School made a difference for me and I am convinced it created a special place in my heart for Vacation Bible School.  You just never know the life-long impact an experience can have on a child!

If your church has a summer program, invite your neighbors.  It doesn't matter how old you are!  It doesn't matter if you don't have any kids yourself.   Can you volunteer to help?  Or how about bringing some snacks or bottles of water to a church holding a program near you.  Don't miss out on a chance to change a child's life!

UPDATE ON MY PLOT TWIST...Given my recent revelation and search for information from my DNA, I have been having many memories flood my mind.  I have had questions and comments asking me if I think that my mom knew my parentage, or if I had any "feeling" that I wasn't related to my dad.  I believe that my mom believed that I was my dad's child.   I was totally shocked with this news and never had any thought that this would be my story.  Because of the wide age spacing between my siblings and I, my life was very different from theirs.   I have to trust God's timing on this revelation.   While I would love to be able to actually TALK with those involved in this,  I know that there is a reason that I didn't know this until now.   I am still hopeful that I will be able to get more information on my biological heritage - on my father and half brother.  I would certainly love to have contact with this family.  And I will remain hopeful for that contact.  

Jesus, thank you for Summer and warm weather.  Holy Spirit, open our eyes to the ways you are working in our communities.  Give us courage and boldness to invite children (and families) to programs to learn more about you.  Give us hearts of compassion for those in need around us.  Thank you Jesus for children, laughter and song.   Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment