Saturday, July 1, 2023

Yearly "Mission Trip" time with Zeke and Anna

 Every year since Ellie was a baby, I have had some part of the yearly Mission Trip that Gwen and Tim always spend some of their vacation attending.  In 2009 when Ellie was just 4 months old, I went with on the Mission Trip (to Toronto) to be Grandma to Ellie when Gwen was busy being a leader/participant on the trip.  When you have a nursing baby, you do what you have to do!   I stayed home with the kids as they were added to the family with the exception of 2020 (of course)!  There were only a few years with all four kids, since beginning in 2019, Lia went with Gwen and Tim!  This year, 2023, Ellie went with, so I just had Zeke and Anna.  Zeke is counting down the years (just two) until he goes on the trip also.  It is a "right of passage" for these kids and something that they can hardly wait to experience.  Our time together this year was somewhat different.  Having only two kids means more opportunities to do fun things and less disagreements on what those things should be.  

The biggest highlight of the trip for the kids - and they are telling everyone this - we ate at 14 different restaurants during the 8 days that Gwen, Tim, Lia and Ellie were gone.  There are many reasons why this happened in 2023 but I think the biggest one is my age!  At just a few month shy of 69, I am tired of cooking!  And I know that I have gotten lazy just having to cook for myself!  I really enjoyed all of the meals out and lets just say - it made the kids very happy!

I do have photos of most of the eating out, but I decided to just include this one!  I love the sign on the wall says EAT and that is what we did!  I had some of my favorite meals out that I just never go to alone.  If my count is correct we had 10 "sit-down" meals (some were at fast food places) we had pizza delivered  one time and then we visited Starbucks, Dunkin and the TeePee (Riverside Chocolate) making up the other 4 "eating out" times!  We went to four local playgrounds, we went bowling, roller skating and to the library.  We visited a skate park and also went to a local water park (thanks to Anna being invited to a birthday party).   I'd say that was a pretty good week for Zeke and Anna and this grandma.  



Since Gwen and Tim have a pool and a trampoline we also had plenty of time to swim and jump while at home. Seriously though, this year was the worst weather for swimming we have ever had during this week.  It was COLD and RAINY several of the days.  I actually borrowed clothes from their closets since I only packed clothes for HOT weather!  This was actually really good for the Mission Team since this is the first year in a very long time that they have not had heat advisories!  And they had no rain during the week either. 

 The kids also receive a daily gift from the "mission trippers" which is always a highlight of the day.  This includes a note about what the Mission Team is doing that day and then gives us some specific things to pray.  I love that the kids are older now and really understand this.  Each day, one would open and read the card and then pray for the concerns.  The other one got to open the gift.  Here is a sampling of some of the things they received as gifts...
It was COLD and the water was cold but the kids insisted on taking this volleyball net into the water on the first day!  I know that Gwen was also planning on HOT weather during this week. As it turns out, we didn't get in the pool very much!





Slime making, diamond art, tie dying, and painting were just a few of the gifts.  This year Zeke discovered Sudoku and picked it up quickly!  He pretty much carried that book with him anytime we left the house.  

One of my favorite parts of the trip, besides the games we played and the movies we watched, was that Anna asked me to help her with a scrapbook she was working on.  
Anna and I spent many hours sorting her paper and putting the pictures she has into an order that made sense to scrap.  It was so much fun watching her enjoying something that I love so much!  Zeke was more than happy to have some video game time while us girls were busy cutting and pasting.  

Seriously, the best part of all the eating out was Zeke's very heartfelt statement that he wanted to actually spend time sitting and talking together.  More than once he opted to play a game with Anna and me rather than have a bit of video game time.  Anna told me over and over just how grateful she was to have time with me.  Things like this really melt a grandma's heart.  

I love this time so much!  Over the years various people have made comments about my kids "taking advantage" of me taking care of their children.  I am always taken aback by those comments.  Being with my grandchildren is the greatest gift I could ever receive from my own children.  Being a part of their everyday lives, watching them grow and change and knowing exactly how to pray for them is a priceless gift.  One I would never trade!  

So here I am, back at relationships.  Spending time together is really the only way that we can get to know someone.  I love seeing small glimpses of the amazing way Jesus is shaping each of the kids.  Knowing their strengths and their struggles gives power to pray specific prayers.  And I remember the adage "General prayers get answered generally and specific prayers get answered specifically".  

These last two months (May and June) have been difficult for me.  (Watch for the next blog... yes, I am leaving you with a cliff hanger).  I know that being with the kids and all of the activities in these last three blogs has been the glue that has held me together.  If I did not have an active relationship with Jesus, I can't imagine how this time would have played out.  This is my encouragement for you today.  If you have family that you are estranged from, consider making an effort to form stronger bonds.  If you have been curious about why some of us rely on our relationship with Jesus, just ask!  Find a trusted person with whom you can have open and honest conversations.  Visit a church or two or three.  Try it out.  You might be surprised that all the things you might see on social media are not true.  Are you missing that old friend you haven't seen in years?  Call, write, text, email, message.  Take a step.  Don't have many friends you can count on?  Join a class at the library, talk to your neighbors, visit some older folks at the nursing home nearby.  Take that first step and watch how things will happen.  

Sometimes life throws you an unexpected curve ball.  If you miss that throw, chase after that ball.  You just never know what blessings are ahead.  

Jesus, thank you so much for children, laughter and fun.  Thank you for the availability and the means to find good food around us.  Thank you for cool weather and rain but also for warm sunny days.  Jesus, you know exactly what we need and provide that for us.  Thank you for Mission Trips and for times at home to pray for those who go and the people they touch.  Holy Spirit, nudge us to seek you without fear.  Show us truth as we scan social media.  Thank you for your care and concern.  Amen




No comments:

Post a Comment