Tuesday, September 5, 2023

When a movie is more than you think......and sometimes it is okay when your internet goes out!





It is a real treat to get to do things with just one of the Grandkids.  This past week I got to have lunch with Anna and then take her to a movie.  All of the other kids have already seen the Barbie movie and most of Anna's closest friends had also seen it.  So Anna was feeling a bit left out.  Gwen gave the go ahead (even though Anna is a bit young for this movie) since Gwen has seen it.  Even after telling Anna that she would most likely not understand all that was going on in the movie, she still wanted to see it. There was nothing "bad" about it, it was just a more adult themed movie.  We went at a very slow time (middle of the afternoon) and we were literally the only people in the theater.  It was a private showing! As expected, Anna was more excited about actually being at the theater, having the snacks she had stashed in her purse and the bucket of popcorn I purchased, than the actual movie.  She admitted that she really "didn't get it" and I tried to help her understand some parts of the movie.  What I don't understand is why a movie about a kids toy is made!  Clearly they knew their market and this movie is very popular with the 20-45 year olds.  As is always the case, Jesus can sure bring some interesting spiritual things to the surface through these ordinary movies.  Anna and I had some great conversations about going along with the crowd (peer pressure), knowing God's plans and purposes for each of us (letting other people try to sway your plans), understanding your unique gifts (trying to be like everyone else).  I am glad that I saw this movie.  Sometimes you just can't believe what sources tell you about a movie until you see for yourself what it is all about.  This time with Anna was special and memorable!

This week, while at Doug and Susie's, their internet went out.  Jimmy and I had already spent several hours outside while Grace was at school.  I knew that Grace would be tired when we picked her up at the bus stop after school, and she would enjoy time to relax and unwind.  The standard afterschool routine is a bit of TV.  But the sudden message..... "Check your internet connection - no internet" flashed on the screen, that routine was out window.  So Grace and Jimmy happily played in the back yard until Susie got home.  It was good to talk with Grace about her day and school and actually get her to share a few things.   As we were talking about the day, Grace excitedly screamed, "THE ICE CREAM TRUCK!"  Sure enough, off in the distance, was the faint music of that "kid's best friend" colorful, noisy vehicle. Susie sent Grace flying out the front door to stop the truck and I corralled Jimmy.  Money in hand, with the truck stopped in front of their house, the magical treats were obtained! 


Let's face it, Ice cream is good for the soul.  It is especially good when you are facing a day with no internet (which means no TV in some households).  What Grace was much more upset about, was no internet meant that she could not show off her new Chromebook from school.  She was so excited to show me all the programs she used.   But alas, that will have to wait for another week, after the internet is fixed.  So a special treat of an (overpriced) ice cream bar, that just tastes so much better when it comes off of the music playing truck, covers up the loss of the internet!  If we had been inside, watching television, we would never have heard the music of the ice cream truck and the kids would have missed out on the special treat.  It was only the second time Grace had ever gotten a treat off the truck, and she was thrilled!  It was totally new to Jimmy.  So, yes, sometimes it is okay when the internet goes out!  

I cherish these small, special times with each of the grandchildren.  I am so blessed!  I do not take these times for granted.  There are so many of my friends who are separated from their children and grandchildren by long distances or sadly, conflicts or other circumstances.  I try to remember each day, to find the message from Jesus I need for that day.  This is especially true in these everyday times with the kids. I know that the Barbie Movie was not supposed to carry any spiritual message, yet in the days after seeing it, there were clear messages to me in my daily devotions.  I loved how the Lord spoke to me, about the importance of an occasional special treat when things are not going well.  Since that day, I have been  remembering all the times that something as small and/or trivial as that ice cream bar has happened when I most needed it (and least expected it).  Isn't God just amazing?  

The best advise I ever received about parenting came from my sister Karen.  When Gwen was just a baby, she told me "Don't sweat the small stuff - and most things are small!"  This was great advice that carried me through all my years raising my kids.  I think good grandparenting advice would be "Don't miss out on those small things - they are really big memories in the making."  Maybe that advice is not just for parents and grandparents, but everyone!  Go to that movie that you have heard about.  Take time to go to lunch with that special person.  Play outside, even when you have already spent time outside.  When facing a challenge and/or a problem, look for the small joys.  Listen for the music and most importantly, share that ice cream treat!  

Jesus, thank you for a very special week of small but wonderful memories.  Holy Spirit, remind us all that most stuff is just small stuff. When things are hard, give us courage to stop and wait for answers.  Thank you for speaking to us through movies, through the birds and the trees and the sunshine.  Help us to slow down and see all of the small things that are becoming big memories.  Thank you for loving us so much!  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment