Sunday, January 28, 2024

Another (Disney) Icy post!

 I was very excited that Susie and Doug asked me to attend Disney on Ice with the kids again this year.  It was Jimmy's first experience and it was a good one!  Sadly, Susie's mom was not feeling well, so she had to miss this.  Thanks to the wonder of modern technology, we were able to facetime her in for her to at least see some of the fun. 


I was really wondering how Jimmy would do in this very different setting.  At 2 1/2, he has a relatively short attention span.  But the wonder that is Disney, captured his attention for the entire show.  Grace and Jimmy each got a lighted, revolving wand for Christmas as part of this gift experience.  Anyone who has been to one of these shows knows that these things cost a fortune if you purchase them at the show.  So it was a smart move to buy these in advance!

It was the perfect show for Jimmy.  There was Raya and the last Dragon.  Cars, complete with McQueen and Mater,  Mickey and Minnie were there, of course, plus Donald, Daisy and Goofy! For a kid who watches Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, this was wonderful.  And then.....Toy Story!  Jimmy practically jumped from the seat when Buzz Lightyear came out! 
All Jimmy talks about is Buzz.  He flies all of his toys around the house screaming "To Infinity and Beyond!"   Yes, there was one happy boy when Buzz skated on.  He was a bit scared of the robot scene but very amazed when the big orange balls fell from the ceiling.  

The second half had Frozen, which was certainly good for Grace also.  She had come to the show dressed in her Anna costume and had been waiting patiently for Anna and Elsa.  Jimmy was so excited to see Olaf!

Jimmy also loves Moana.  Especially - Maui!  So when the stage became a Polynesian backdrop, we knew that Maui would appear soon.  And then, there he was!

Jimmy actually got a bit scared during the volcano scenes!  It doesn't bother him on TV but on this giant screen, with "flames" skating all over the ice, it was a bit intense.  He was very glad when that was over and Moana and Maui "floated" off.  

There was so much more in this program!  All the Disney princess' made an appearance.  There was a long Aladdin scene with a truly amazing "flying Carpet" that skated in impossible looking ways.  Encanto included skating to "We Don't Talk about Bruno" which Grace really loved.  All in all, it was a fabulous show.  

I loved the show, but most of all, loved seeing it with Grace and Jimmy.  Seeing their excitement and watching them experience these characters in new ways, brings them to life for me also!  In spite of the bitter cold weather, it was a heart warming way to spend an afternoon.  

During this "deep freeze" we have had in January, the tubing to my ice maker froze up!  I suddenly realized that I didn't have an over supply of ice cubes in my freezer!  I know that I have been complaining about the icy weather, but I love ice in my water bottle!  It doesn't make much sense, but I like my water cold - even in the winter!  Thankfully Doug came and shut off the line so that it wouldn't burst and flood my kitchen.  And I was faced with the problem of no ice.  I long ago threw out the ice cube trays and was not going to run to the store in freezing weather.  I looked around my cupboards and saw the silicon cupcake liners that I purchased to replace the disposable paper ones.  I put six liners in a flat plastic container and suddenly, I have six perfect little "cupcakes" of ice that fit perfectly in my water bottle!  On the plus side, they stay frozen for a very long time!  I haven't missed my ice maker at all.  As they say, "Necessity is the mother of invention!"  

So here we are, nearing the end of January.  While it has been cold and icy and snowy, we have now transitioned to rain and fog.  The temperatures have warmed to the high thirties and there has still been piles of snow on the ground. Truly it has been a mixed bag of weather this year.  But looking back, even in the icy cold, there have been so many heart warming events.  Even my small "mishap" with my ice maker, has a surprise good outcome, with small cakes of ice that last longer.  I guess what I have been feeling is about finding the very good that can come out of a not so good event.  I think it is a good reminder to me (really everyone), to look for the positive instead of only seeing the negative.  This reminds me of a "Mister Rogers" statement that I heard a very long time ago.  He said that when there was a bad or scary situation, his mother told him to always look for the helpers.  So, in the midst of a very bad weather month, Doug came and took care of the snow/ice for me.  Also a neighbor paid to have my driveway plowed after a heavy snow.  Doug also saved me from possible water damage by shutting off the water.  I am thankful for workers who plowed and salted streets so I could get to these events.  There were lots of helpers in the parking lot of this Disney on Ice show, directing traffic and helping us find parking.  I am very thankful for them.  Yes, so many others who continue to work, no matter what the weather is like.  The police, the fire fighters, the doctors, nurses and all who keep hospitals running.  The bus drivers, all the workers at the airports, the store clerks, the truck drivers who deliver all of the things we rely on,  yes, I am thankful for them also. 

As January comes to a close, we have two very important events coming in our family!  Anna will turn 10 on Tuesday and Grace will turn 7 on Thursday.  Big days for them for sure!  I am ending this month feeling so blessed.  So thankful and so warm.  While it might still be typical January weather for Chicago, it feels pleasant and happy for this grandma!

Jesus, thank you for the reminder that even in hard times, we can find the good.  Holy Spirit, turn our eyes to see all the helpers when it feels like things are going wrong.  Give us wisdom to BE the helpers.  Jesus, thank you for gifting us with creative minds that can imagine so much.  Inspire us all to look outside of the box when faced with difficult situations.  Thank you for loving us and providing exactly what we need.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment