Friday, February 16, 2024

January/February Birthday Celebrations

Our family has two birthdays that seem to rapidly follow Christmas.  Before we turn around, it is Anna's birthday at the end of January.  And then just two days later, Grace has a birthday!  This makes for a few busy weeks with parties and presents and fun happening.  This year Anna turned ten.  I just don't know how that happened!  Suddenly she is "double digits" and on her way to being a teenager.  It also didn't seem possible that Grace was turning seven!  Yet, here we are!  

Anna loves all things "Squishmallow" and had requested this Stich Squishmallow specifically.  So, Grandma obliged!  She is such a creative, artistic and kind girl.  The best part of spending time with her is watching her practice her dances for the Spring Recital.  It is amazing how much confidence she is gaining as she works hard to learn, perfect and perform difficult dances.  She loves playing games and one of her current favorites is Guess Who.  She always manages to win, no matter how hard I try.  

Grace's birthday was next.  I just love spending a few special moments with each child, apart from their actual party.  I always feel as if special memories are being made during these celebrations.


Grace is such an amazing first grader.  She loves reading and I found a really interesting book series about campers in National Parks.  This is right up her alley as she has visited a large number of parks already in her 7 years!  She has such a sweet personality and has made so many friends in school.  This is her second year as a Daisy Scout and she has earned lots of patches for her vest.  Grace is such a good big sister to Jimmy.  Jimmy misses Grace so much when she is at school.  He can't wait to go to the bus stop to pick her up.  

Around the birthday's I always think about how much these girls have changed!  These are a couple of my favorite pictures of Anna and Grace....

This is me with Anna when she was only a few days old.  I love this picture of us!
And this was Grace and me when she was just a few weeks old!  This one I have a magnet on my fridge so I look at it every day!

More than anything else, I have realized the importance of spending time with these precious grandchildren.  In the last few months I have gotten busier with other things and I needed this reminder of just how important it is to really be present for my adult children and their children!  It is one of life's greatest blessings to be included in the growing up years of our grandchildren.  Knowing all about their day to day activities and being able to pray specifically for them is a powerful responsibility.  Thanks to electronic communication, even if you don't live nearby, you can still keep up with them.  Every day is another chance to help them learn and grow in Jesus.  There is really nothing that is more important.  

I recently had the privilege of serving in the nursery at church.  There were two sweet babies that I got to play with and cuddle.  One of them settled down in my lap in the glider and promptly went to sleep.  They just seem to know when a "grandma" is holding them!  What a wonderful way to show the love of Jesus to  the babies, but also to their parents.  If you get a chance to help out a young mom and dad with their baby or toddler, take the time to do it!  You will be blessed in the helping!  

Jesus, thank you for allowing me to be a part of my grandchildren's lives.  Holy Spirit, remind us to find meaningful ways to help those around us.  Give us courage and boldness to reach out and volunteer.  Remind us to pray for all the children - in our neighborhoods, our towns and the world.  Thank you for the joy and love of children.  Amen



No comments:

Post a Comment