Saturday, April 13, 2024

Family Easter - there is nothing better!

Even though Easter was early this year, we had pretty good weather.  It wasn't exactly "spring" but at least there wasn't any snow!  I had a great start to my Easter season with a powerful Palm Sunday Pilgrimage at my church.  Anyone who is able, walks to church from their home or a designated meeting spot.  I walked to church with all the Rock kids and their families with some Boulder youth.  It was about a 2.5 mile walk which helps us remember that Jesus and his disciples walked toward Jerusalem before his Palm Sunday entrance on the donkey.  Maundy Thursday service was a special service with families gathered around tables, sharing communion together.  For the last three years, one of my grandchildren has been taking "First Communion" on this night.  Even though we didn't have a "first" this year, it was wonderful to all commune together.   Our Easter church service was extra special this year.  In order to have just one service, my church rented out a large concert venue in our town and 700 people came to that service!  It was a wonderful service for sure!  He is Risen!  He is risen indeed!

We all gathered at Gwen and Tim's and always take our pictures BEFORE the egg hunt!  This way the kids cooperate!  

The Cousins! (All my grandchildren)

Casual group shot!

 Gwen's family

Doug's family

Then the kids got ready for the egg hunt.  It is certainly a lot of fun at Gwen and Tim's since there are so many spots to hide eggs!  They have a really big yard with really difficult hiding spots! 

After all the eggs were found, and some candy eaten, we went inside for a wonderful dinner.  It is pretty amazing to see us all cram around the table.  We are certainly getting to the point that we will have to add another table soon!  Tim prepared a ham and a family favorite - "Cheesy Potatoes".  He also made homemade rolls, which were delicious.  


These family times are so important to me.   Seeing the family together like this brings me back to when my kids were little.   Even though we live pretty close to each other, with everyone's busy schedules it is really difficult to make these gatherings work.  I am so thankful that my kids understand how important this is to me and continue to make it work.   I was thinking about a couple of Easter pictures I have from when Gwen and Doug were little....
This was Easter of 1982 -  Doug was just home from the hospital and Gwen was not yet three years old.  He was actually five weeks old, but had spent some time in the NICU.  Gwen had made that little Easter Basket in preschool for Doug and we put a couple of toys in it for him.  She was so excited to give it to him.  That sleeper he has on was actually a preemie size.  He was pretty little!  
This picture is from Easter of 1985 when Doug was three and Gwen was soon to be six.  I am struck by how much Jimmy looks like his Dad!  There is seriously nothing better than looking through old holiday photos and seeing how much your grandkids look like their parents!  

I am thinking about my own Easter experiences and sadly, I have no photo's from them!  For some reason my family did not take any Easter photos during my growing up years.  I do have a couple of Ken when he was little that are worth sharing.....
This was Easter of 1954 when Ken was not quite two with his sister Susan.  I am very glad that I have a few pictures of these early years! 

Well, there you have it!  Easter from 1954 to 2024!  Seventy years of Easters.  It looks quite a bit similar!  Pictures taken outside.  You can almost see the wind in that picture of Ken.  It's springtime but doesn't always look very warm.  There are baskets and candy.   I am extremely thankful for that empty tomb that is the reason we celebrate Easter.  Everything that takes place, leading up to the actual day, just brings the message home.  Jesus' entry into Jerusalem, the Last Supper meal with his friends, his trial, conviction and death on a cross, his three days in the tomb and his resurrection - are events that have shaped history for 2000 years.  Easter is a time to shout, "He is risen, He is risen Indeed!" 

Jesus thank you for your sacrifice on the cross and the forgiveness of our sins.  Holy Spirit, remind us all that these are not just stories we read, but actual events in history.  Give us courage and boldness to tell others about this good news that is for ALL people.  Jesus, strength families and draw them together in your love.  Give us wisdom and grace as we share with others your love!  Amen  

No comments:

Post a Comment