Saturday, June 4, 2016

Another celebration......anniversary!

With Ken away this weekend, I had plenty of time to start looking through all of my scrapbook albums.  This was the first album I picked up.  Thursday was Gwen and Tim's 15th Wedding Anniversary.  It just does not seem possible that this was 15 years ago!

It was such an amazing day.  Didn't she look just amazing?  And quite honestly, I don't think she looks much older now, in spite of four kids and 15 years!  Or Tim either! And I just had to include this picture since I had just posted the picture of my own going away......

I'm not sure that going through old photos is a good way to spend an entire day.  It left me feeling a bit nostalgic and also kind of discouraged.  I thought this was interesting since DISCOURAGEMENT  has been the word swirling around for the last week.  I have seen post after post about praying against the spirit of discouragement that seems to be everywhere right now.  We prayed about this at my small group this week.   Last night I heard an amazing teaching from Dr. Lance Wallnau on this exact subject.  His message was summed up in one sentence... "Let your expectations be on the Lord!".  We tend to get discouraged when we are looking for something from a source that is NOT the Lord.  If we want affirmation or encouragement or even just someone to be with, if we look anywhere but the Lord, we will be disappointed or discouraged.  Lance said that he had been reading Psalm 62 when he came to this thought.  Here is Psalm 62 from The Passion Translation.....

I stand silently to listen for the One I love, waiting as long as it takes for the Lord to rescue me.  For God alone has become my Savior.  He alone is my Safe Place; His wrap-around presence always protects me.  For he is my Champion Defender; there's no risk of failure with God.  So why would I let worry paralyze me, even when troubles multiply around me?  But look at these who want me dead, Shouting their vicious threats at me!  The moment they discover my weakness they all begin plotting to take me down.  Liars, hypocrites, with nothing good to say.  All of their energies are spent on moving me from this exalted place. I am standing in absolute stillness, silent before the One I love; waiting as long as it takes for him to rescue me.  Only God is my Savior, and he will not fail me.  For he alone is my Safe Place, His wrap-around presence always protects me.  As my Champion Defender; there's no risk of failure with God!  So why would I let worry paralyze me, even when troubles multiply around me?  God's glory is all around me!  His wrap-around presence is all I need, for the Lord is my Savior, My Hero and my life-giving strength.  Join me, everyone!  Trust only in God every moment!  Tell him all your troubles and pour out your heart-longings to him.  Believe me when I tell you - he will help you!  Before God, all the people of the earth, high or low, are like smoke that disappears, like a vapor that quickly vanishes away.  Compared to God they're nothing but vanity, nothing at all!  The wealth of the world is nothing to God.  So if your wealth increases, don't be boastful or put your trust in your money.  And don't you think for a moment that you can get away with stealing, by overcharging others, just to get more for yourself!  God said to me once and for all, all the strength and power you need flows from me!  And again I heard it clearly said, "All the love you need is found in me!"  And the Almighty said, "The greater your passion for more- the greater reward I will give you!"

Meditate on that and you will see the direction to just rely on the Lord.  In doing that, we will not worry.  Or be disappointed.  Or discouraged.  So I think I will spend some time musing about this Psalm.  Once again I am so thankful for The Passion Translation!  And I am thankful for scrapbooking and preserving photos that allow us to remember and reflect.  

Jesus, thank you for memories that help us to put our life into perspective.  Thank you for the reminder to trust only in you, Lord.  Holy Spirit, free us from the spirit of discouragement and disappointment and help us to keep our eyes on Jesus.  Thank you for time to read, pray and reflect on all of your great promises.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment