Sunday, June 19, 2016

Sometimes you just need to be alone..to turn a frown upside down!

 On the second day I was with the grandkids, the "big girls" got to go on a playdate with their BFF's!  While this was a welcome break for me, as well as very fun for Lia and Ellie, Zeke was not very happy that he didn't get to go anywhere.  It is really tough being the little brother sometimes.  Anna really didn't even notice that Lia and Ellie were gone.  But Zeke really wanted some kind of special treat or to go someplace very fun.  I had no intention of leaving the house, so I had to come up with something to turn this little boys frown into a smile.  So I created this amazing fort out of the coffee table, the sectional sofa and lots and lots of blankets!  Zeke thought this was so much fun.  He told me that he needed some "alone time" and he took some toys into his fort, took his Kindle and closed the "door" that he had created.
Anna was napping during the building of this fort and I was a bit afraid that she would just pull down all of the blankets when she got up.  Thankfully she wasn't that interested in what Zeke was doing inside the fort and I could easily distract her with these............
She loves stickers and they seem to end up everywhere.  But it was enough to keep the fort intact so that Lia and Ellie could see it when they returned after supper.  Zeke was a happy camper when Lia and Ellie were impressed with his fort and he got to take them on a tour before bedtime. A happy end to the day for everyone!

Anna has this most amazing way of saying her prayers before bed.  After lots of books (I can now recite by heart, several of her favorites that we read over and over and over and over), singing Jesus Loves Me, and hugs and kisses, I would ask if she wanted to pray or if she wanted me to pray.  She always throws herself down on her knees with her hands folded and her face on the ground and very quietly you can hear her "praying" but you can't understand the words.  Then, after a few minutes she says AMEN! and her prayers are done!   I am sure that something very real is taking place between her and Jesus during this special time.  This was a most holy moment of my day, when I knew that Jesus was very present with us.  She has her alone time with Jesus.....no blankets necessary!

I was thinking about that fort after all the kids were in bed.  I can't tell you how many times I would have liked to just have a great big blanket fort to shut out all of the cares of the world,  To have a place to run and hide from responsibilities and junk that are swirling around in the world.   And then, to top it all off, a sunny sticker to cover up anything that doesn't look happy.  Around 5 minutes into my "musing" about this, Jesus reminded me that HE is that blanket that covers us and protects us from the darkness of the world.  And any time we feel that we need that place to "be alone" we just have to run into worship and Jesus is there waiting to cover us and surround us with his peace and his love.  Yes, it is a perfect place for some "alone time".  

I needed these reminders so very much.  I don't know about you, but with all the stuff going on out there in the world, it seems so overwhelming.  I am tired of the political garbage.  I am tired of the debate over bathroom usage.  I am tired of hearing about guns and terrorists.  It was actually a blessing to be to busy to read/watch/hear much news.  And I think I will build myself a blanket fort in the wrap around arms of Jesus and then throw myself on the floor and bow my head and whisper my thoughts to Jesus. I sure that his presence and peace will be just the "sticker" I need to end my day.  Won't you join me today?  Let's all be children together!

And Jesus said, "Truly I tell you, unless you become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven."  Matthew 18:3  

Jesus, thank you for meeting me right where I was during this time with the kids.  Thank you for your great love and faithful presence that brings us close to you.  Holy Spirit, help us all to run to Jesus like little children and be open to share our deepest thoughts in whispers only you can hear.  Thank you for Lia, Ellie, Zeke and Anna and all the ways you are working in them!  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment