Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Walk in the sunshine.....thanksgiving is at the "root"... It's all about perspective!


Yesterday and today were days of glorious promise of springtime to come weather.  Grace and I took our first walk in many, many months.  I don't know which of us was happier to be outside getting some fresh air and sunshine!  We spent an hour exploring the neighborhood and then came home and sat in the backyard watching Sammy and Kylie (the dogs) romp around the yard.  Sammy came out and immediately spread out in the grass, in the sun.  That outside air made for a long afternoon nap for Grace!  We are so thankful for the little taste of warmer weather. Since this IS Chicago and tomorrow is only March 1, we most likely are not totally done with winter just yet.  But this burst of sun and warmth was wonderful. 

Today at my small group, we had a guest presenter and got to paint a picture!  I was worried when I saw that I would have to paint a tree.  Trees are HARD!  But I pushed through and finished my painting.  It is not my favorite painting, but here it is...
I am sure that you can not see what this is SUPPOSE to be.  I am very thankful that I know the story of this tree. 
Here is the "original" picture painted by our guest presenter.  Rebecca painted this after seeing olive trees during a recent visit to Israel.  I don't think that I have ever really considered olive trees, but she told us that they are mentioned many times in the Bible.   She showed us a picture of the olive trees in the Garden of Gethsemane - some of which have roots that were there over 2,000 years ago when Jesus walked there.  Today was supposed to be about painting - which it certainly was.  But I gained so much more from all the discussion about the olive tree.  Thinking about the roots of that tree that survive and flourish over and over again.  Even when it may seem as if they are dead, the roots spring forth new life.  Rebecca shared that there are wild olive trees in Israel, but they do not bear fruit.  They must be grafted into a fruit bearing tree!  What a picture of God's plan to bring all of us into His family.  In Romans 11:17, Paul makes a clear reference to this, reminding the gentiles that we have been grafted into the tree that is supported by the rich root that brings fruit bearing.  Looking at my very feeble attempt to duplicate her picture, I am reminded of God's amazing plan.  That not so clearly defined olive tree brings thankful praises to my heart.  I love that the sea of blue behind the tree is the Sea of Galilee. Although I have never been to Israel, it is my dream to someday walk in those places.  

I told Ken this evening that I painted my tree too big.  The perspective is wrong.  I did not leave enough of the sky showing.   It is as if I am standing closer to the tree than in the original painting.  Yes, there is my message of the day.  My painting is exactly right for me.  I have been seeking to draw closer to Jesus.  It has been my desire to shift my focus and see only Jesus.  And thinking about my painting with that in mind, I see a wonderful answer to my prayers.  Suddenly my vision is totally that tree.  If I could, I would run up and hug it right now!    My too big tree painting has gained a spot on the wall in my scrap room where I will look at it every day.  And everyday I will be reminded that my prayers to draw closer to Jesus are being answered. And thankfulness will flow for being grafted into God's family!   

Springtime weather, very hard painting project, revelation of answered prayers and thanksgiving.  It's been a pretty full couple of days.  I could use more days like these!

Jesus, thank you for speaking to me through this painting project.  How amazing it is that we can see your plan for all of us in your creation.  Holy Spirit, help us all to see your answered prayers in unexpected ways.  Thank you for the promise of spring and new life.  Thank you for warm days and walks and sunshine.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment