Friday, February 9, 2018

When winter brings snow.....

Since it is February, Chicago should not be surprised to get some snow.  But this snow was predicted to be a "BIG" snow (think 9-12").  There was enough confidence in the forecast to get all of the schools in the area to close.  We were in the high end of the snowfall and as of right now (according to the national weather service) we have had between 6 and 7".  There is another 1-3" predicted for overnight and then more on Sunday.  So I guess this does qualify as a big snowfall.  I just love the quiet calmness of this view from our living room.  The snow is so puffy and clean.  One of my all time favorite banners in church had a snow scene and part of Psalm 51:7 that said "wash me and I will be whiter than snow".  Every time I see a snow scene, I remember those verses from David's heart.  He was deep in the pit of sin, and he knew his sinfulness could only be taken away by God.  It was a plea for help.  It is such a powerful thing to realize that we need the sacrifice of Jesus to bring that clean, white, snow-like, freshness to us - that only His shed blood can accomplish.  A true paradox - being covered by the blood, makes us white as snow. 

Isn't it funny how easy it is to fall into the trap of thinking that you have everything under control?  I don't know if it is our society, or just humanness, but I believe most of us struggle in some way or another with trying to handle "life" in our own strength.  This week Gwen sent me an amazing verse from the Message and I just love the clarity it brings.....

"Jesus looked hard at them and said, "No chance at all if you think you can pull it off yourself.  Every chance in the world if you trust God to do it."   Matthew 19:26

Well, there is so much to think about in that verse!  In the translation that I normally use (NIV) the verse says "Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."   This verse falls right in the middle of the disciples asking Jesus how to enter the kingdom of heaven.  I have always thought about this verse showing just how powerful God is.  I know that is most certainly true.  However, the verse from the message opens up the need to trust God in those situations where I have decided that I can handle things MY way.  You know, be in control.  I have been reflecting on the times when there wasn't any chance I could pull off my plans, and also those times when I did fully trust God to handle things and then they worked out great.  Because, let's face it, things work out much better when we realize that when we are weak then He is strong. 

You can't control the weather and you can't stop the snow in February.  Your life might seem dark and dirty right now.  Look at that snowy scene.  Jesus has made a way for us all to be as clean as snow.  You just can't get there on your own strength.   But  there is every chance in the world if you trust God to do it. 

Jesus, thank you for bringing us into the Kingdom of Heaven by the shedding of your blood.  Holy Spirit, remind us to trust God to do the impossible things.  Give us eyes to see your plan of salvation when we look at the snow.  Fill us with your love.  Help us have the courage to let go of control and rest in your peace.   Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment