Sunday, June 3, 2018

Getting an answer to prayer (in the midst of things)

This weekend was the big "Dance Recital Weekend".  This year all three girls danced in this recital. This was Lia's 9th dance recital!  Yes, that's correct.  She is 12 years old and has been dancing since she was three.  This year, Lia was in a Jazz number, a Lyrical number and also Ballet.  It was her first year in the big Ballet production that is a central part of the recital.  Ellie had two dances - a Jazz and a Tap. It was Anna's first recital and she had a Jazz dance.  I was so proud of these girls!  They have worked so hard to learn these dances and spend hours practicing at home.  Lia will be adding (back) tap to her schedule next year, so she will have at least 4 dances to learn.  I forgot to mention that there are different shows (since this studio is so large) and Lia was in all the shows.  Ellie was in two of the shows and Anna was in one.  Thankfully (mostly due to Gwen's careful planning) all three girls were in the first show on Saturday.  Then Lia and Ellie were both in the second show on Saturday, and just Lia was in today's production.  I can't count the number of times Gwen had to drive someone to dance (and then pick them up several hours later) in the last week.  And then she had to sit through two days of dress rehearsals and then three performances.  Oh, the love of a mother (and father - Tim does some of that crazy driving)!  I actually went to two of the three shows (it's a grandma thing!)

 I have mentioned this amazing studio, "Dance Connection" in Grayslake, Illinois a couple of other times.  At the close of the program today, Bridget Blake, the owner of the studio, mentioned that dance is about so much more than this production.  These kids are learning so many valuable lessons while they spin and twirl and leap.  They are learning to persevere and work hard to accomplish goals.  So much of this recital was about team work.  Not only do they have to know where to be on the stage, they have to be aware of everyone else.  They are building confidence and character as they practice those really hard steps, over and over, until they get them just right.  (I watched Ellie practice "up, up, down, down" over and over - even when it hurt her ankles!)  The mentoring of the older students to the youngest is wonderful to see as "Student teachers" help with all the younger classes.  Lia has been so looking forward to the chance to fit into this role!  Such a refreshing and uplifting event, seeing so many helpers pull off this amazing show.

I can't end without telling a bit about the ballet production.  I have to admit, when Lia told me that she was going to be an Ewok in the ballet production, I was skeptical!  Really, how do you have a Star Wars ballet???  It was simply amazing!  It was clear that so much thought went into the dance choreography and the costumes.  Each one of the main characters was clearly recognizable by their (still beautiful and flowing) costume.  I believe it was the best Ballet production that I have seen (remember that I have seen NINE)!  And I just have to say, Lia was simply the cutest Ewok on the stage!

But now let me tell you a bit more about the title to this blog. Yesterday, I drove to the recital, listening to my music most of the way.  Gwen called me to give me final directions to meet up with her and my blue tooth in the car was working perfectly.  Somehow, during those hours of the recital, my car decided to throw me a curve ball.  When I got in the car to go home, I had no radio and no sound on the blue tooth.  Everything seemed to be ON, but I had no sound.  At all.  I turned off the car several times, thinking that might fix the problem.  But no luck.  So I began the drive home, in my very silent car.  While this might not seem like a problem, it is more than just an aggravation for me.  I have several very long car rides every week, back and forth to Gwen's and also Doug's house.  I admit that I really need my music to keep my focus where it needs to be.  And the blue tooth is necessary since it is illegal to hold your phone and drive!  After several minutes of lamenting that it figures that the radio would break when I am just about to make the last payment on the car, I decided to just shoot up one of those quick prayers about the situation.  Within a few moments, I started thinking about the fuses.  Now, I can't tell you the last time that I even thought about the car HAVING fuses!  When I mentioned it to Ken, he seemed to think it was doubtful that it was a fuse since the display was working for the entire system - just no sound.  I decided to "google" the problem, and sure enough, there was the answer.  Pull out the audio fuse and leave it out for several minutes.  Put it back in to reset the audio system.  A few short minutes later, the radio and blue tooth on my car were working fine.  It wasn't until a bit later that I realized that I had heard the answer to my prayer!  The Holy Spirit gave me that thought of the fuse to bring a solution to my problem.  I just got confirmation from google!

What a great reminder that we can all EXPECT to receive answers to our prayers.  We just have to be aware that sometimes that thought that pops into our heads, is really the Holy Spirit speaking to us.  Or sometimes that "gut feeling" that we get is a message for us.  Every one of us can hear from Jesus.  It is part of the reason that he left the promise of the Holy Spirit.  Jesus knew that we would need help - the Holy Spirit is called the helper.

My encouragement to you today is to expect to get help when you need it from the Holy Spirit.  Even in the midst of a very busy times.  Even if you don't think you have ever actually gotten a direct answer to a prayer.  Even if you doubt that you can really hear from Jesus.  Trust this testimony, and so many others, Jesus wants to communicate with you and He will!  You just need to listen more carefully.

Thank you Jesus for knowing how much help we would need, and giving us the great gift of the Holy Spirit.  Help us all to be more present and aware of the ways that you show us answers to prayers and give us directions when we need them.  Thank you for dance and the joy and laughter of children.  And Jesus, thank you for caring about even the very little things!  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment