Saturday, April 6, 2019

A timeless instrument or two... a musical heritage

Yesterday I had one of those "moments" watching Grace sit at the organ, playing her own "song".  I just happened to glance up from my spot across the room, and suddenly I was remembering  pictures I have of that same instrument, from many years ago.


This picture is from 1976, just after Ken's dad purchased that organ.  I love that you can see a dulcimer hanging on the wall behind the organ in BOTH pictures!  Doug actually asked for the organ when Ken's dad was moving to Florida.  It has been in Doug and Susie's house, ever since. And the dulcimer hanging in Doug's house is one of the dulcimers that his Grandpa built.  

And then I was remembering this picture.  We actually have similar pictures over the years, of Doug sitting at that organ...
It is easy to see why that organ brings back so many memories for me.  Both of my kids looked forward to playing it when we visited Ken's mom and dad. 

Of course thinking about these pictures also took me down another thought path.  April is one of those months for me, that almost every day seems to hold a memory of the death of a special person.  My mom and dad and Ken's mom and dad, all died in April.  My sister died in April.  Two of my four grandparents died in April.  But today I was thinking about the wonderful heritage all of those people have sown into my family tree.  Ken's dad loved music and I know that he would be so pleased to see Grace enjoying his organ.  In his later years, he often told Ken and I how much he loved that both of our kids were involved in music.  My dad was also a musician and he would love that Gwen and Doug both play instruments and sing.  Some of my best memories of my dad are the (few) times that I witnessed him sitting at a piano playing and singing or playing some other instrument.  It is interesting that I am the only one of my siblings that did NOT ever play an instrument or sing in the choir.  I am very thankful that my kids from an early age, had musical talents.  I love that I am seeing that passed along with my grandkids.  Lia and Ellie are both playing the piano.  Zeke has expressed how much he wants to learn guitar (and drums).  Anna loves music and so does Grace.  Even though this "musical heritage" seemed to pass me by, I am thankful that it didn't stop with me!

For the rest of this month, I plan to find the wonderful heritage that each of these special people have left for me and for future generations.  I love that there is so much we can learn from our ancestors when we find their connections to our present life.  Sometimes you just have to stop and look for those ties that bring generations together. 

Suddenly April doesn't seem so dark and gloomy for me.  Even though it is the month of rain and more rain along with the reminder of lost loved ones.  I am going to use this time to find even more wonderful connections to my ancestors that will bring new revelations for our family..  I am very thankful that Grace decided she just had to play the organ.  I guess I needed that memory jog to start on this new adventure.  I can't wait to see what new things Jesus shows me as this month goes on. 

Jesus, thank you for opening my eyes to this connection between Grace, Doug and Ken's dad.  I love that Holy Spirit brings this reminders to us so that we can understand your plans for us that began with our ancestors.  Thank you for music and the joy and peace that settles our spirits as we play and listen and dance.   Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment