Friday, April 19, 2019

Doesn't seem possible that it was 34 years ago.....

I can tell you exactly where I was 34 years ago today, and exactly what I was doing.  It was one of my first days back at my full time job and as a manager, I was meeting with all of my workers to catch up on all the new developments around the office.  I had missed VERY MUCH work over the previous 6 months - spending most of my time away from work in the hospital with Doug.  Just before his third birthday he had a kidney removed (February 15) and then both Gwen and Doug had gotten Chicken Pox.   Ken and I had used up most of our vacation time.  Thankfully, both of our employers had been gracious about the amount of time off we had needed to use.  The 19th was a Thursday that year and I had been off the beginning of the week to travel to Minnesota to see my Dad, who had been very sick for many months.  I remember getting off of the phone with my mom the week before, and she had simply said, "you need to come now to see Dad".  So I took off  MORE time from work.  I am so thankful that I did. I had a chance to see my dad and say good bye.  I got to hug my mom and see my siblings. It was necessary.  Three days later,  on this day, during that meeting, I got a phone call from my mom telling me that my dad had just died.  While it was not unexpected, nothing can really prepare you for that news.  I remember that I just immediately went into the mode of trying to figure out all the logistics to get my family to Minnesota to be with my mom. 
This picture was taken at the funeral home on the evening of the visitation.  Doug was just 3 years old and Gwen was just shy of 6 years old.  I was only 30.  At the time, I did not understand just how much I would miss my dad. My dad had a special relationship with Ken and I know that Ken also felt the loss of my dad.  Sadly, neither Gwen or Doug has many memories of my dad.  Our life was so caught up in Doug's health issues and my dad had so many health issues during those same years.  It was not uncommon for my mom and I to have phone conversations from one hospital in Illinois to another hospital in Minnesota.  So we really didn't see them enough to make memories with the kids.  

I am not sure whether it was Doug's illness or my dad's illness and death that was the trigger.  But I am so thankful that these events stirred in me a desire to draw closer to Jesus.  It was shortly after this  that I began going to a Prayer Group offered at my church.  And then I joined a Sunday morning Bible Study.   Because of those groups, my entire outlook changed and all of the Sunday school lessons and sermons I had heard, suddenly became real to me.  Jesus became real to me.  Within a few years, I found a way to only work during school hours so that I could spend more time with my kids.  I left a career that was cut-throat and actually stressful, and even got fired from the last position I had in the field, BECAUSE I was a Christian! (There is a long story with this that will need to be told in another future blog).  Following that, I became a church secretary.  Something I did for the next 19 years!  So it is safe to say, my dad's death had a profound effect on my life.  

It is fitting that today is Good Friday.  It is a day that is marked with the separation of God the Father from Jesus his Son.  And because of that sacrifice - that time of darkness, we all are no longer kept away from God.  What a great gift we were given at the cross.  We all can come to God because of what Jesus did on the cross for us.  Even when we so far away in our sins, Jesus died for us.  Because of Good Friday, I can celebrate knowing that I will see my dad again one day in heaven.  

It is so easy to tell people to realize the importance of family and making memories together.  But on a day like today, I can't help but urge you again to put aside anything that might be causing conflict in your family.  Life is so short!  Time is so valuable.  Don't miss out on today, because tomorrow is not promised to any one of us.   Make this Easter season a time of reconciliation.  A time of forgiveness and joy.  Hug someone close to you and tell them how important they are to you.  And celebrate that Jesus is alive!

Thank you Jesus for your great sacrifice on the cross for us.  Holy Spirit, come near to those who have doubts that God cares for them.  Bring the message of Easter alive to those who might be hearing it for the first time.  Give us all ears to hear you speaking to us Jesus.  And give us courage and boldness to break down the walls that might be keeping us from family and friends.  Thank you for being with us in times of illness, death and grief.  Amen

1 comment:

  1. Amen! Connect with family. Draw close to Jesus. Love like you’re on borrowed time.
    https://youtu.be/9K8-9mXjU8o
    Good to Be Alive was playing in my head as I read your blog.

    ReplyDelete