Sunday, July 14, 2019

A week from the 1880's to the present - with stops in between!


I told the kids that this was really my happy place!  Swimming - in a lake!  I couldn't help but reflect on all of the time I spent in the water at Lake Maud during my growing up years.  I was telling the kids that I remembered Great Grandma Nona bringing a sandwich down to the dock because I refused to get out of the water for lunch.  I lived in my swimming suit for most of the summer.  So having the chance to swim with the kids for a couple of hours, was such a treat.  This is one of the many beaches near to Gwen's house.  The kids really prefer to swim in pools, but I love lake swimming. Such a nice start to this week for me.

At the end of the week, Ken and I traveled a couple hours away to Parke County Indiana that has 31 covered bridges.  We have been talking about visiting these bridges for a couple of years.  Every time we planned a trip the weather would not cooperate.  After traveling the narrow gravel roads to get to some of these bridges, we could understand why you would not want to visit in rain/flood conditions.


We actually got to 12 of the bridges for Ken to photograph.  We saw another 4 bridges off in the distance (you would have to walk through fields and forests to get to these).  We traveled over roads that you could hardly call roads - they were more dirt paths. We cut through some farm property.  Got detoured by "road work" (which was really necessary). Had not great cell phone coverage which made using our google directions difficult. Walked through mud, dirt, high weeds, rocks, and other muck.  BUT..... we saw some amazing things.

Some of these bridges were built in the 1800's.  So amazing to consider how long these have been in use.  The wood work was so interesting.  We learned that most flowing water in Indiana is called a "creek" while in Illinois most would be called rivers.  There were so many different wild flowers near these bridges.  I had lot of time to stop and look at them.


I had plenty of time to listen to the flowing water and just catch my breath.   It was such a nice couple of days away.  We relaxed at the hotel, swam in the pool and sat in the hot tub.   Certainly proves that you don't have to travel very far to really "Get Away"!  

On Wednesday my small group had a visit from Corrie ten Boom (thanks to an amazing presentation by a local women).  Corrie is one of those "great cloud of witnesses" that I can't wait to meet someday.  Her story, her faith and her life have been an influence on my own spiritual journey.  One of my most cherished memories is being in the National Holocaust Memorial in Washington, DC and seeing her name on the display of people who aided the Jews during World War II.  There was a large group of Jewish children and youth on a tour and they had stopped along side of me to listen as the tour guide told them about the people named on this display.    One of the children asked if these people were Jewish. The tour guide (who was a holocaust survivor) told them that most were Christians.  You could hear the surprise among the group.  The guide then told a bit of Corrie's story and many of the group were crying after hearing of her sacrifices.  What a testimony that is still having an impact.

It is interesting how Jesus takes our everyday activities and brings them together to bring revelation, learning and growth.  I did not realize how much I missed lake swimming until this time with the kids.  I had a chance to share some of my memories of Lake Maud with my grand kids.  Then, hearing Corrie's story again,  I was reminded that our testimonies live on, long after we are gone.  
The transforming power of Jesus in each of our lives, can bring that same transformation to others as these stories are retold.  Spending hours outside, by flowing water, surrounded by the sounds of birds, hearing bees buzzing around those lovely wild flowers filled my heart, soul and spirit with fresh energy.  Energy to put words on pages.  Energy to share whenever I get the chance.  

I am convinced that our prayers and our personal stories can influence and affect future generations. Just as those covered bridges from over a hundred years ago tell a story, so our ancestors can speak to us.  Every picture, every story told around a dinner table, every memory can reveal God's faithfulness and provision.  Every smile or kind word to a stranger, every shared laugh, every caring word to a friend, becomes a powerful tool to reach a hurting heart with the love and forgiveness of Jesus.  
Instead of lamenting the many times I have failed to share, or missed a chance to help, I will press on!  Moving forward, just like those flowing rivers.  Bringing what ever I have to those around me.  Don't sell yourself short!  We all have an important story to tell.  A story that each one of us knows well.  It is the story of our own life.  Be encouraged!  Tell someone today!  Share a testimony that will live on.  And most of all, take time today to hear the water flowing and the birds singing.  See the sunshine in the blue sky.  Really see and hear these things.  You will be energized!

Jesus, thank you so much for working in MY plans to let me know the truth of YOUR plans for my life.  Help us all, Holy Spirit, to slow down and hear your whispers.  Show us our happy places and remind us of your provision to us.  Keep our eyes focused on you Jesus.  Give us courage and boldness to tell our stories of your faithfulness to us.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment