Thursday, July 25, 2019

Never back down, I've got my "God Suit On".... ...

I always wait anxiously for the Bible Boot Camp week at Gwen and Tim's church.  This is so much more than a traditional VBS program.  Lia, Ellie, Zeke and Anna just can't wait for this week to arrive.  Zeke has a count down calendar and keeps close track of just how much longer he has to wait until Boot Camp finally arrives.  Zeke especially asked me to be sure and come to watch (which I have done most of the last few years).  There is something really special for me to actually see Gwen leading/teaching this program.  We were talking about the many, many years I was the one doing the planning, leading and teaching at VBS.  It is really wonderful to see her just continuing on with this valuable ministry for the kids.  This years theme was the Armour of God from Ephesians 6:10-18. 
I never actually managed to get a picture of all four kids together.  Lia actually was a crew leader and Ellie was a junior crew leader.  And this year was Anna's first year "with the big kids" (they have the preschool separate from the older kids).  Zeke was just very excited to finally be a Bible Boot Camp. I love the energy and the music and most of all I love the message of these days.     

The very first song of the day - that sets the theme for the entire weeks message was called "God Suit On".  I love this song!  It is really worth listening to this and really hearing the lyrics.  Quite frankly I think that most of us adults need to hear this song and learn this lesson.  I sure needed it!  This song starts ....."when I wake".  And isn't that true.  We all need to - every day -  start off remembering that there is a battle we are in each day.  And we have a "God suit" that will carry us through the day.  It was the "Good News Shoes" day when I visited.  So the focus was on going and sharing about Jesus.  I loved this so much!  The Children's Ministry leader, Becky Williams, shared her own testimony from this summer - doing Bible Boot Camp in Turkey!  Really amazing photos and wonderful story.  Gwen had one of the youth share about her mission trip experiences.  What a powerful testimony for all of these children.  In addition to these "far off places" the kids were reminded that they can share right now.  On the playgrounds, at school, with their neighbors and even with their families.  They can share on vacation, at the amusement park or at the store.   Every day also includes a bible verse and these kids are really learning and remembering these verses.  So they end this week knowing five important verses and filled with a great message to carry into their daily life.  To top this all off, they also do a service project each night that often involves the entire family.  The project assigned on the day I visited, was to create a "Birthday goody bag" to be given to the local food pantry.  These will be given to the families so these children can get a small gift on their birthdays.  What a fantastic way to give the Bible Boot Camp kids a chance to share something that they all have received themselves.  

While I was standing in the back of the room, just observing all that was happening, someone asked me how it felt to see Gwen singing and dancing around with the kids.  WONDERFUL!  That is how it felt.  I was remembering seeing Gwen participating in VBS as a crew leader.  And now I can imagine Lia and Ellie and Zeke and Anna standing up front, with a microphone sharing with a new group of kids about the love of Jesus.  

If you have any doubt that these kinds of experiences are valuable for children, just listen again to "God Suit On". Let this song touch you the way that it has touched my heart.  Share this song with a child in your world.  Better yet, share this song with your friends and family.  Join me in my silly dance as I shout................

  10, 9, 8, 7, 6 -  Got my hands in the air and your praise on my lips!
  5, 4, 3, 2 1  Never back down, I've got my God Suit On!

Jesus, thank you for your Word that is living and active.  Thank you for blessing us with music and song writers who give creative melodies to your powerful messages.  Holy Spirit, remind us all to start each day getting ready for the battles that are in each day by putting on your armour.  Thank you Jesus for knowing exactly what we need.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment