Sunday, July 21, 2019

Right before your eyes.....

 I had my eyes checked this week - something that I have not had done for a couple of years.  I wear gas perm contact lens that are also bifocals.  They are pretty expensive and they last well.  I have been fortunate that my prescription has not changed much so I can get away with a two year span between check ups.  My eyes got a clean bill of health from the doctor!  As a matter of fact there will be only a very slight difference between my new contacts and the ones that I have been wearing for these last two years. All in all, it was an expensive and necessary visit to the eye doctor.

From the eye doctor, I went to visit my newly married friend at her "new to her" home.  She happens to now live in Elk Grove Village!  A hometown for Ken and I!  It was fun to drive her around and show her the schools we attended and also our family homes.  Amazing how much has changed in that town - yet so much is still the same. 

From there I went to see Lia perform in a production for a CYT (Christian Youth Theater) camp that she attended.  I simply can not believe how much the leaders can accomplish with groups of kids in only 5 days!
Lia had some speaking parts, some singing parts and also dance parts.  In addition to the group dances, she had a solo ballet dance with a boy teen camper.   I know that she is truly a "teen" now at 13 years old, but seeing her up on that stage, she seemed SOOOOO old!   While she will tell you that she is a "pretty good dancer" (which is really an understatement) she will also say that she can not sing!  That is FALSE.  She has a wonderful voice.  Thinking about her performance, I was reminded of the movie "Sister Act".  There is a scene where a very timid singing is encouraged to let her voice be heard!  And that is exactly how I felt after seeing Lia!  She needs a boost of confidence to really sing out.  

Earlier in the week, I spent a couple days with Grace.  Both days were HOT and HUMID and there were rain storms on both days.  So we had a lot of indoor time.  It was fun to see Grace discover the dry erase markers and her white board.  She loves to color and draw and this was a new medium for her.  She actually sat for almost an hour using all the colors of markers.  Erasing is half the fun! I can't believe how old she seems - all of a sudden.  Every day there is something new.

Right before my (recently checked out) eyes, my grandchildren are growing up.  Watching Lia with her friends, singing and dancing, I couldn't help but reflect on the prophetic word I had for her when she was born.  She would speak God's word, proclaim the truth, and lead the people.  She was a little bird with a big voice!  She is often the smallest in any group she is in.  But watching her on that stage, I could see how she would have a big influence on her generation.  I just can't wait to watch where she goes and the people that she reaches in the years ahead.    

Each of my grandchildren has a special prophetic word that I have been praying for them.  Grace's word has two really interesting parts.  First that she will be a "giant slayer".  Able to fight those really big things that we all face, through the power of Jesus.  Second, that she will be a worshiper!  Bringing songs of Jesus to the nations.  So when I hear her singing in her crib after a nap, and seeing her creative expressions through block building or coloring, it's not hard to imagine her stepping into all that I have been praying for her. 

It seems like only yesterday that I was praying for my first little grand baby to be - Lia.  In a blink of an eye, the time has passed.  Even as I write this blog, I am reminded how important it is to be praying for our children, grandchildren and even beyond that.  Our prayers do matter.   We can have influence over our future generations through the prayers we pray right now.  Spend a couple of minutes right now, thanking Jesus for all that he has done in your family lines in the past, in the present AND in the future.  It is pretty amazing to watch your prayers come to life through your grandchildren.

Jesus, thank you for your plans and purposes for all of us.  Holy Spirit, remind us to take a moment to look beyond our current situations.  Help us to see the past through your eyes.  Give us peace, comfort and courage to pray into the future, even as we walk through our present with you.  Thank you Jesus for you great love.  Amen

1 comment:

  1. So Many nice thoughts. Grandchildren are so funny and change so much. I love the silly things that come out of their mouths.

    ReplyDelete