Friday, March 13, 2020

Sad family news... and response to Corona Virus

This week we learned that Ken's brother-in-law, Wayne Purvis, died on March 8, 2020.  I had conversations with Ken's sister Sue while Ken was in the hospital.  Sadly, Wayne had been dealing with brain cancer for the last two years and had not been doing well.  It is one of those situations that you really don't want to think about.  What will we do if Wayne passes away while Ken is in the hospital.  While that did not happen, we are now looking at the recent travel issues with the Corona Virus.  Florida suddenly seems a very long way off and air travel does not seem like a good idea considering Ken is still recovering from a major infection.  While we want to be with family during this time, it just may not be possible.

Ken has so many memories of Wayne since he was a part of the family since Ken was a teenager.  By the time I met Sue and Wayne, their daughter Tracie was already born.  Wayne's job had them moving around often, but for one short season when their kids were both little, they lived in our area.   One of my favorite memories of Wayne is just how much he hated the winters in Chicago!  During that time we had one of our coldest winters and their house seemed to have frozen pipes all the time.  Ken and I both remember Wayne wearing multiple sweaters and long underwear in that house!  And many hours were spent trying to fix those pipes.  We were not surprised that shortly after that winter, they moved to warmer locations.  They did end up moving back to our area when their kids were in high school.  It was nice for Gwen and Doug to be able to get to know their cousins a bit better and we often spent Christmas at their house. When Wayne's dad could no longer live alone, he moved in with them and they had a three generation household.  They cared for him until his death. After their kids were married, Sue and Wayne moved to Florida.  That warm weather and golfing year around suited Wayne. He had a motorcycle that he loved to ride, and often took trips with his friends.  Ken and I enjoyed many visits with Wayne and Sue after Ken's dad moved to Florida in 2009 to live with them.
They took care of Ken's dad for many years, watching over him until his death.  Our last visits with Wayne were in 2019.  He was making a valiant fight against the cancer, but it was sure taking its toll.  Our thoughts and prayers go out to Susan, Tracie, Michael, Wayne's sister Gina and all their families.  Although we can't be with you physically, we are remembering and celebrating Wayne's life.  

This has certainly been a time of reflection for Ken and I.  We are getting older and when a health crisis hits, all you can think about is a return to health.  Losing a loved one - a family member or friend - makes you so aware that everyone's length of life is unknown.  It sure makes you think!  And it makes it clear that you should make sure that you tell people how much they mean to you.  The world is experiencing an unknown epidemic, just declared a pandemic.  There is fear and dread and anxiety all around us.  But in the midst of this, is the overwhelming peace that passes understanding.  Gwen recently shared this with me....

When Martin Luther was dealing with the Black Death plague, he wrote these wise words that can help inform the way we approach things happening in our world right now..

"I shall ask God mercifully to protect us.  Then I shall fumigate, help purify the air, administer medicine and take it.  I shall avoid places and persons where my presence is not needed in order not to become contaminated and thus perchance inflict and pollute others and so cause their death as a result of my negligence.  If God should wish to take me, he will surely find me and I have done what he has expected of me and so I am not responsible for either my own death or the death of others.  If my neighbor needs me however, I shall not avoid place or person but will go freely as stated above.  See this is such a God-fearing faith because it is neither brash or foolhardy and does not tempt God."
                                                              Martin Luther

When I heard these words, they just felt right to me.  We can answer worry and anxiety with prayers and worship that brings peace.  We can go and do as we are called to.  We can make wise choices with our movements and also with our own persons.  But, in it all, we have to know that God is in control.  When our government issues policies and procedures, we need to honor them as long as they do not go against God's word.  Yet we can not take our eyes off of God's commands to us to love our neighbors and to go and make disciples.  Now more than ever, we need to look out for others around us.  For the widows, for the orphans, for the homeless for the distressed. 

I am so thankful that I know a loving, caring God that takes care of me and my family.  In life, in sickness and even in death.  So I will be careful to keep that distance from others.  I will wash my hands and (try) to keep my hands away from my face.  But I will not enter the ciaos of hoarding toilet paper and water bottles.  Lent is a good time for this.  A time for seeking the Lord and drawing closer to Him, even if it is not our choice.  God works all things for His good and this is no different.  Take a moment and re-read that Martin Luther quote.  There is much wisdom in those words.  Breathe in and be at peace.  Jesus has got this!  

Thank you Jesus, Wayne and his life well lived.  Be with Sue, Tracie and Mike, Gina and their entire family.  Keep them close to you during this difficult time.  Holy Spirit remind us that Jesus is bigger than the Corona Virus.  Give us all the reassurance that we need when fear and anxiety threaten to overwhelm us.  Keep all who are reading this blog safe from harm.  Draw us all close to you during this time of crisis in our world.  Thank you Jesus that nothing takes you by surprise.  You are the King of Kings and the Lord of Lords.  Amen  

No comments:

Post a Comment