Thursday, March 19, 2020

Social Distancing - what I have been doing!

Most of you know that I am a scrapbooker.  During this time of "forced" staying home, I am thankful to have a hobby that is ready and waiting for my action.  Yesterday I spent a very long time re-learning my Cricut cutting machine.  They had changed to a new platform that I have never used and it took me a long time to figure it out.  I was successful and managed to make these embellishments for the group of pages I am currently working on.  As a disclaimer, I must tell you that I am really, really far behind on my efforts to scrapbook my photos.  Like years behind!  The photos I am working on right now are from June of 2017 - almost 3 years ago.  Here is a sample of what I have completed...

These pictures are actually from a time that I watched Gwen and Tim's kids while they went on a mission trip.  The kids look so young, which of course they were!  Three years younger!  
But I am committed to finishing these books and to finally "catch up" to more current pictures.  It seems like a daunting task, but one that is so valuable that I will press on!

I often tell people that I can talk for hours about why I think the activity of making these scrapbooks is so important.  There is something that is lost by having a bunch of digital pictures that are "somewhere out in the cloud".  While I very much appreciate that my photos ARE preserved out there, I also know that it is not the same as being able to pick up a book and actually see the photos.  I am convinced that one day, my grandchildren and even my great grandchildren will be thankful that I took the time to preserve these memories.  

For one thing, the dates of these pictures will be clearly recorded.  No one will ever have to guess at the date the picture was taken.  Because it is in a clearly marked book there will never be a question.  Also the people in the pictures are identified by the written messages on the pages.  All of the baby pictures will be clearly from each child.  There will be no mystery photos.  And the pictures will not be just jumbled together in a box.  I do have many photos (about 6 boxes worth) but they are all separated by year and in protective boxes that will preserve them.  Most have notations on the back to identify the people or event.  Again, not perfect but far better than what my mom did.  As child number 5, I know that I certainly got the least photos taken of me.  I am thankful for the photos I do have, but really wish there were more.  

When Ken's mother died and his dad moved to Florida, we became the owners of a couple of very old photo scrapbooks.  One of these belonged to Ken's great grandmother Kelly.  Unfortunately, nobody has any idea who the people are in these pictures.  I really hate the idea of these photos being lost, but on the other hand, I have no idea who might cherish them.  There was also an album from Ken's grandma Baker.  We were able to sort out a few of these photos and are very thankful to have them.  But again, so many were not identified.   These things make me more committed to spending the time to keep these memories recorded and preserved.  

Besides this scrap time, I have been really intentional about my Bible time.  This has really helped me to keep focused on the TRUTH - Jesus and off of the so bad, terrible news all over.  I am convinced that we can make a difference in this.  By heading the advice and/or commands of our government.  By staying home and only going out for necessary purposes.  I think that this is easier for Ken and I in some ways, because of his recent serious illness.  Before his hospital stay in January, I would not have thought about all of the different workers in the hospital who are dealing with this very scary virus right now.  In addition to the doctors and nurses there are the respiratory therapists, the transport people, the food service people and the housekeeping people.  Also, there are the patient techs (who do a lot of the basic care for people), the desk clerks, the information helpers, the security people and the valet drivers.   Each one of these jobs has hardworking and dedicated people who are going into potentially the most dangerous confined areas, to continue to serve all of us.  And they need our prayers.  We are so thankful for all of the people, doing these jobs, who helped get us through Ken's illness.  So right now, we can support them through our prayers and by doing our best to stay OUT of the hospital.  And then there are all the others who must continue to work (all of our Government workers from the President, senators, congressmen, governors, local authorities, police, fire, ambulance, garbage pickup, utility workers, grocery store workers, gas station workers and truck drivers).  They need our support and prayers also.  And then there are those who would LIKE to be able to stay home, but for various reasons they must continue to work.  It is shocking to me how many business owners have decided to remain open when this is a real crisis.  And so many people can not afford to sit home and NOT get paid. Yes, so many to pray for!  

I began this week with a phone call from my next door neighbor.  She called to make sure Ken and I were okay, and to ask if she could go grocery shopping for us.  This was such a wonderful and kind offer that really brought me to tears.  We are so blessed with our kids living close by that we know we would always have a way to get the items we need.  But I think that Jesus knew just how much this call would mean for me.  It was evidence that people are looking out for each other.  They are looking for ways to help and support those who might need it most.  Although all the schools are closed, provisions have been made for school buses to deliver lunches to the bus stops so all of the kids can be assured of food.  Gwen's church has handed out food bags - no questions asked - this week and many families came for food.  I am sure that as the weeks go on, more and more people will need to accept help from others.  People are seeming kinder and more willing to look out for each other.  There is less complaining and more people are looking for ways to encourage and help one another.  I have decided that I kind of like this time, much more than I thought I would.  

So I will follow all of the recommendations.
I will keep my distance from others.
We are washing our hands often.
We are checking in with others to make sure they are okay.
I will keep on scrapping.
I will keep on Bible reading and praying.
And I will keep on blogging.

;Jesus, you are the King of Kings and Lord of Lords.  You are not surprised by this virus.  You have promised us peace and love.  Holy Spirit, help us to stay out of fear and worry.  Give us reminders of all of your promises so that we can walk through this time with boldness and courage.  Thank you for the kindness of strangers, for the help of loved ones and for the care and concern of our government.  Cover our families with your blood that guards us and protects us.  Draw the hurting and scared into your loving embrace.  Thank you for being with us all.  Amen  

No comments:

Post a Comment