Monday, December 6, 2021

Waiting and preparing.....Advent

 It's been a busy time getting ready for Christmas.  I started assembling all of the gifts I have purchased and made a list of the missing items.  This year I also have a list of yet-to-arrive things that may be "lost" in shipment!  I am right there with everyone else, I guess.  It has been a a contemplative time for me.  Each ornament I put on my tree seemed to bring back a memory.  And I wouldn't want it any other way.  This year I especially focused on this ornament.  In 2013, I actually wrote a blog about that included this ornament.  But this year, my thoughts are a bit different. I've been thinking about legacy.  

This ornament has a unknown age.  I know that it came from Germany.  I know that it was brought to the United States by my Great Grandparents, Ernst and Clara Toensing around 1871.  They already had four  children when they began their journey.  Sadly, their youngest child died during the journey.  When they arrived in the United States, they settled in St. Paul, Minnesota.  Their family grew to include five more children, including my grandfather.

Clara was never in very good health after the trip here (as you can see by the picture above).  She died when her last child was only 9 years old.   As far as I know, the story behind this ornament has been lost.  I don't know if it was already old when Clara and Ernst received it.  Could it have been on their parent's tree for years?  Possibly.  Was it a wedding gift?  Maybe.  I can imagine that deciding what to carry with them during their journey across the world, was very difficult.  So this was a precious item for them.   By the time my memories of Christmas begin, my mom always hung this ornament on our tree.   She had cared for her father and her aunt (who had helped raise her) in their old age.  So she had inherited this ornament after their deaths.  For mom, this ornament held memories of her own Christmas celebrations and my usually stoic mom, was very sentimental about it.  I remember the year that she brought this ornament to me to hang on my own tree.  She was dividing up her Christmas stuff among my siblings and knew that I especially loved this ornament.   When Gwen and Doug got married, I passed a couple of special ornaments on for their families.  I  have some pink bells that were made by Ken's grandma Baker.  Each of my kids have one of those on their tree.  And I  have some china "Choir Boy ornaments that my mom got for our family tree, long before I was born.  So, for me, those have always been on my Christmas Tree.   My mom gave me three, so Gwen and Doug each got one.  I love looking at their trees and seeing these pieces of history living on into another generation.  

Christmas is full of traditions and customs for every family.  I love that Jesus is the focus of the holiday for our family.  We have always celebrated Advent and use the time to retell the Bible stories that reveal God's plan to bring Jesus into the world.  The Advent wreath helps us to focus on one theme or story and remember just how amazing God's rescue plan was to bring a savior into the world.  Yesterday I had the privilege of helping in the Rock (the children's Sunday School at Gwen's church).  The message was that Jesus came to bring Good News to the world.  The reminder was that we all have good news to share with others.  
The Second through Fifth graders got sticky notes and they wrote Good News things they could share with "My World", "My family", "My school", "My Friends", "My Neighbors".  I especially loved this poster to the world.  If you look closely you can see "Jesus is coming" "Jesus has come"  "Jesus saves us" "God loves us" and more.  What a great lesson for these kids to know that it is wonderful  to share this good news with the world.  

I am so thankful that my ancestors knew and honored the story of God's rescue plan. They brought their faith and traditions to the United States when they came here.  They built a church so that their children and their new neighbors would hear the Good News.  
Ernst Toensing built this church with the help of his brother (who also came to the United States at the same time).  Zion Lutheran Church was the sight of the baptisms of Ernst and Clara's five children born here.  And it was also the location of the funerals of many of them and their descendants.  The cemetery across the street from this church, has the "Toensing family plot, the final resting spot of my grandfather and grandmother along with many other relatives.  That church is still holding weekly services for recent immigrants to the United States, the Hmong community.  I am so thankful that the legacy of my great grandparents is sharing the Good News of the birth of Jesus, the great rescuer who came to save us all.   

Jesus, thank you for coming to our rescue through your birth, life and death.  Holy Spirit, give us all boldness to share this incredible good news with those around us.  Thank you for songs and carols that continue to tell the story.  Thank you for candles and lights that remind us that the light of the world was born in Bethlehem.  Jesus help us keep you in all of our celebrations during this season.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment