Sunday, March 13, 2022

Time for another birthday celebration... and a song that touches my soul

Ellie shares a birthday with Doug and this year our celebration got delayed a few days.  It didn't really matter that much to 13 year old Ellie that a few days passed between the actual day and our time together.

 Her gifts were a wonderful mix of things that bridged the time between childhood and young adult.  She has been sewing for many years and this year requested fabric, patterns, patches and threads, which I was happy to provide.  She loves American Girl dolls and asked for some special clothes for her dolls including a Girl Scout uniform and a Ballet costume- two things very near and dear to Ellie's heart.  

All of these gifts  represent well the things that Ellie loves.  She has said for years that she will be a fashion designer when she "grows up".  Dressing those American Girl dolls is certainly part of Ellie's expression of interest in fashion and design.  She has been a girl scout for several years and has embraced that yearly cookie sale.  I haven't asked her for a total number sold this year, but at one Saturday sale outside of grocery store, she told me she sold 300 boxes! I brought home way to many boxes myself!  It seems that if I blink, these grandchildren grow up in seconds.  Here is Ellie, a teenager!  I can't wait to watch her grow and change in the years ahead!

Even with the high price of gas, I've been doing a bit of driving lately.  After some of the covid restrictions have been lifted, I've had the urge to get out of the house.  I've also had the chance to connect with some friends that I have really been missing.  During one of those drives, I heard on song on the radio that really touched me.  It is a a song with a simple (and well known) message.  But when I heard it, I heard it with very different meaning.  The song, The Commission by Cain  brought me back to when I was about four years old.  Click the link and listen to the song, then I will tell you the story. 

Right around this time of year, in 1959, I had a dream that has shaped my life.  You know that there is a message in a dream when you just don't let go of it.  I have vivid memories of this dream - even now over 60 years later.  In the dream, I was walking down a path in the most beautiful garden I have ever seen and Jesus was walking with me.  He was holding my hand (a feeling I can not forget) and talking with me.  Jesus told me that the story of Good Friday and Easter was true.  He had died, but he was alive now.  And then he said, "Go and tell everyone what I have told you! Easter is not about candy and the Easter Bunny.  I died for you and I love you and I am with you always."  Needless to say, when I told my mom the dream (I was very excited) - she told me "We don't talk about these things."   So, because I was 4, I followed my mom's direction.  I never told anyone about the dream.  And I never told anyone about Jesus either.  For a very long time.  Like 25 years or so.  When I first heard the song "The Commission", it was as if I was back in that dream.  There is one line in the song that says... "you have a purpose and I have a plan".  That line took my breath away.  The words plan and purpose have been part of my life and have shaped my messages about Jesus.  In so many ways, it feels like this song was speaking directly to me.  What a great reminder for me - for all of us - that we have a message to share with the world.  It doesn't matter if you are 4 or 40 or even  67 or maybe 90 - we can tell the world about Jesus.  I hope that this song speaks to you today.  It has been an encouragement to me that I have a message worth sharing.  And so do you.... 

Jesus, thank you for loving children and trusting your messages to even the littlest ones.  Thank you for churches, for teachers and leaders, for pastors and parents that share the truth of the Bible with the world.  Give us courage and boldness to speak to others.  Give us wisdom and grace to know how and when to share.  Thank you for your plans and purposes for each of us.  Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment