Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Back to my routine........

We got back from vacation and spent the weekend catching up.  You know... unpacking, laundry, shopping, etc.  Yesterday I spent the day with Gwen and the kids.  Even though it was a short vacation, I really missed them.  Today I was back at work with my little twins.  They spent a great deal of time today watching it "rain" leaves from the many, many oak trees in their yard and also watching it actually rain!  Like always, it is good to go away but it is also good to be back to the normal routine.

I have been in a bit of a "funk" over the last few days.  At least as far as this blog goes.  I passed by some dates that would have usually inspired blogs, especially my mom and dad's wedding anniversary.  They got married 79 years ago on October 25, 1936.  Today as I sat watching my little buddies longingly looking out that window, I was remembering a long ago dream I had.

Many years ago I remember thinking that most of my life, I was just looking through a window at a big party taking place inside.  And I was not invited.  There were lots of reasons that I felt this way, and it is not necessary to go into that today.  I am sure most of you can relate.  Don't we all have times and situations that leave us feeling like an "outsider"?  It was a dark, dreary time for me.  But then I had this dream..... I was in that familiar place outside of what looked like an amazing party. Suddenly Jesus was standing there with me and he asked me why I was so sad.  I remember trying to explain how I was feeling.  At that moment Jesus spoke a life-changing lesson to me.  It was so simple and short.  "BE CONTENT WITH ME"!  Of course it didn't take me long to realize that Jesus was OUTSIDE of that party and standing there with me.   The party didn't seem quite as wonderful when I put that information into the mix.  The grass is NOT greener on the other side of the fence. That feeling of not fitting in and/or not belonging is not from Jesus or the Holy Spirit.  It is just another way that satan works on our emotions to bring us down.

It is interesting how quickly I could forget this message.  Rather than thinking about all of the positive and wonderful things in my life, I was choosing to focus on what is missing.  Being away for a short time does make the routine seem a bit dull when you return.  So I am going to shake off this funk and make a choice to share some of the wonders from my time away....

*Jesus reminded me because we have the Holy Spirit, we can depend on "warning flags" to keep us out of dangerous situations!  (This was in response to those Red Flagged/Purple flagged days on the beach).  Wow....this is such a great reminder. And I am so thankful for the Holy Spirit!

*As I was sitting in the very chilly early morning pre-dawn, waiting for the sunrise, I was reminded that the sun rises every day....  and when the sun rises... it does warm up!  And I am thankful for that.

*It was very windy..... but boy, the Holy Spirit is often seen as blowing in and or over us!

*Listening to the waves crashing on the shore, all I could think about was the immense power of God.  It was his idea and the spoken word, empowered by the Holy Spirit that everything came into being.

Yes, it is much easier to be content when you  take a minute to run through some wonderful things.  In addition to the wonderful things, remembering that Jesus is standing right here with me is really all I need.

If you have felt a bit down lately, take it from me,  if you have Jesus next to you, you are in the right place.  Don't let the thought of what is outside that window distract you from the truth.  The truth is, with Jesus everything is really okay.  With Jesus and the Holy Spirit you are in exactly the right place.

Jesus thank you for another reminder of this great lesson.  Thank you for vacations and also routines at home.  Holy Spirit, thank you that we can count on you to warn us about hidden dangers.  Help us all keep our thoughts on the wonders all around us.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment