Saturday, October 31, 2015

Couldn't believe what we saw tonight.........

So today Ken and I ran a bunch of errands.  We were very successful, for the most part.  We even fit in looking at some new cars (both of us are considering a new vehicle - so there is a lot of information to gather!).  I stopped and picked up some stickers for my upcoming scrapbooking weekend, and yes, that included some Christmas stickers.  I will be working on the end of 2013 and that includes Christmas!  The store was totally decked out for Christmas.  Trees, lights, wreaths, ornaments and even wrapping paper.  REALLY????? Who would need wrapping paper for Christmas on Halloween?  I was thankful to get these Christmas stickers for 50% off.   But then on our drive home, on a winding road near our house, there was a house with a fully lit up Christmas tree in the front window.  We could not believe it, but there it was.  Sigh.  I am really not ready for Christmas.

Doesn't it seem like we are just in a rush for well, everything? I for one, would like to slow down a bit.  Tonight we turn our clocks back one hour, and gain an hour of sleep.  I am thankful for that extra bit of time.  Not everyone in my family is happy to see this clock changing.  We agreed tonight that it would just be better if we left the time in one position.  Ken would opt for "double daylight savings time" if he could!  I just wish for one standard time that we would stick with.

When I was with the grandkids this past week, I listened to Ellie working on her Bible memory verses....Psalm 23.  So I have been "parking" on that Psalm this week.  Tonight I realized just how right on that was....
The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing.
He makes me lie down in green pastures,
He leads me beside quiet waters, he refreshes my soul,
He guides me along the right paths for his name's sake.
Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me.
Your rod and your staff they comfort me. 
You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.
Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life,
And I will dwell in the house of the Lord, forever.  

This is in the New International Version. Then I looked at my current "favorite" - The Passion Translation....

I confess that I spent a lot of time focused on verse 4 in this translation.  This past year has felt a lot like the valley of deepest darkness for me and my family.  Even in that, I have felt so close to Jesus.  He has been leading me through it.  And that is the most important thing of all.  Jesus does not leave us in that place of darkness.  He helps us ALL THE WAY!  The next couple of weeks will be a time when we really need to know and feel the presence of Jesus with us as we face both the remembrance of Lucas' birth as well as the anniversary of his death.  I especially love the end of this Psalm in the Passion Translation.... when my life is through, I'll return to Your glorious presence to be forever with You!   So with that wonderful reminder of the incredible place where Lucas is, it will be a bit easier to get through these weeks.

Even though I might want to rush through these weeks, I don't think I will.,  I will just walk through, knowing that Jesus is close to me!

Jesus, thank you so much for all that you are showing me.  Even when that is Christmas on Halloween.  Help us all to stay focused on the truth that you are leading us so that we don't get overcome with fear and doubt and worry.  Thank you for your great love for us.  Amen





No comments:

Post a Comment