Thursday, July 28, 2016

Finding the flowing water.....


It doesn't matter where I am, I always look for the water.  And finding flowing water is even better!  I am so drawn to the peace and soothing sound of flowing water.  This is the water I found today!  Ken and I are taking a few days away to a rather unconventional vacation location......Detroit, Michigan.  This shot it from Greenfield Villages at the Henry Ford Museum Complex.  Let me tell you that place is amazing!  It is really a multi day trip to even begin to see it all.  This afternoon we wandered the streets of this village set in the early 1900's.  There were horse drawn wagons,  period costumed people and so many amazing things to see and do.  This is actually the river near the grist mill and across from the saw mill!  It was such a pleasant afternoon, walking along shaded streets and seeing horses coming down the road.

Last weekend was a busy one for us.  I had been telling Ken that I was so wanting to swim and this weekend solved that!  We went to a really BIG water park on Friday with Doug and Susie - in fact they bill it as "The Largest Water Park in Illinois"!
We had such a great time!  Ken and Doug went on the newest water slide and Susie and I were quite happy to sit on a bench and wait to watch them "splash down"!  We made several trips on the lazy river and spent time in the big wave pool.  It was a very hot day with a "heat advisory" but we were pretty comfortable for the 5 hours we spent out in the sun!  Afterwards, we went back to Doug and Susie's for a wonderful dinner.  It was a great day.  

On Sunday we met Gwen and Tim and the kids and Doug and Susie at a different water park that is smaller and more friendly for the young ones.  It was another really fun day, being in the water and doing lots of laughing with the kids.  
We all had fun in the lazy river.  It was a bit crowded so we couldn't just go around and around (which would have made us all happy!), But there was lots of wonderful stuff for the kids, including a big sand area and a splash pad.  This water park was also close to Doug and Susie's so after we had all baked in the sun for several hours, we retreated there for food and family time!  Doug had smoked a whole pork loin so we had another wonderful dinner!
Then on Monday, I actually went swimming.....AGAIN.... with Gwen and the kids at a friends house.  So yes, I have really spent a lot of time around water in the last week!   And to just add to our weekend of fun, Ken and I went to our annual "high school reunion"!  It was actually Ken's 45th reunion and my 44th.  We had a wonderful time catching up with old friends Friday evening and also on Saturday afternoon.  Did I mention that we really needed this vacation away just to recover from our busy weekend?????  

Yes, I really appreciated our afternoon today retreating into a much simpler time.  We watched wool, fresh off of the sheep, being made into yarn.  Then we saw that yarn woven into amazing fabric.  We saw tin being formed into so many objects.  And we watched glass being blown into an amazing vase.  As we stood by that flowing water, watching the water wheel turn, I noticed some men with horses plowing a field nearby.  It felt wrong to be standing there with my phone, checking facebook and looking at my text messages.  You know, sometimes it is good to pause.  Pause and let those waters wash over your spirit. The picture is actually taken from a covered bridge and there was a wonderful cool breeze wafting through as I pondered that water.  On one hand I am so thankful for all the modern things that we all depend on.....you know computers, the internet, blogs.  But I so appreciated the refreshing breath of air that I received today.  Tonight I feel so thankful and so peaceful.  Sometimes all you need is lots of time with family.... lots of water..... lots of laughter and then a chance to just stop and be filled up with sweet breezes and living water.  

We do live in amazing times.  Consider what things were like just over 100 years ago.  Mostly horses for transportation.  Candles for light.   Much less to worry about.  I am just glad that our amazing times include this look back into the past.   I am so thankful for the deep refreshing that comes from that pause.  Just the pause.  This has been a full week of activity.  During that pause I was just remembering all of the hugs and all of the smiles and the laughter.  And I was remembering the water.  Yes, finding the flowing water. 

So many people are so busy and distracted and going crazy over all the political stuff out there right now.  We seem to go from one crisis to another and one story of bad news to the next.  So much fear and so much worry.  My advise today is to look for the flowing water. And when you find it, just pause.  Wait for the breeze to blow over you and consider how much you have to be thankful for.  Remember the hugs and the laughter and take a really deep breath.  Be refreshed and renewed.  Be at peace.

Jesus, thank you for being the Prince of Peace.  What a blessing family time and also time away is for us.  Holy Spirit, thank you for the reminder that we need to be filled with THE living water.  Help us all to find the flowing water and then to stop long enough to be filled.  Thank you for showing me how much I have to be thankful for.  Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment