Sunday, October 23, 2016

Comfort food from the past......

(This is my second attempt at writing this blog.  Suddenly, my screen went white and I lost the entire blog that I had written.  When I went back to the "saved" post, it was also blank!  UGHHH!  Very frustrating!  So I will begin again......)

I just got up from a wonderful Sunday dinner that was as filled with memories as it was with good food.  This meal was one that I could have eaten 50 years ago!  My mom made this often on a Sunday and I loved the smell of this meal cooking as much as the eating!  What is this great meal? Pot Roast, cooked with carrots in the juice, mashed potatoes and gravy.  Yep, simple comfort food.  Each bite tonight was a bit of good feelings from my past.  Isn't it funny how a meal can cause you to be flooded with memories?

While we were on our short get away last week, Ken had one of those great "memory meals".  I had no idea what this was when he ordered it, but he was so excited when he saw this on the menu....
We didn't think to get a picture of this when it was brought to the table, so what you have here is part of a "Pony Shoe"!  Yes, that's right - a "Pony shoe".  Also on the menu was a "Horseshoe".  Needless to say, I had never heard of this. If you are not from Central Illinois I will give you the actual definition of a "Horseshoe"....

The Horseshoe is an open faced sandwich originating in Springfield, Illinois.  It consists of two slices of toasted thick Texas Toast bread, two hamburger patties covered with french fries, and then covered with a "secret cheese sauce".   This can also be made with a fried pork patty, ham or fried chicken.  A Pony shoe is one piece of bread with one patty of meat, covered in the same fries and cheese sauce. 

Ken's food memory goes back about 30 years when he used to go to motorcycle races in Springfield each year.  Apparently he often ate a horseshoe or pony shoe while in Springfield.  It was fun to watch him savor this really unusual meal, while I ate a plain old hamburger!  

It's interesting how food can really bring those memories flooding back.  I don't have many foods that are memory filled but my meal tonight certainly was.  It's funny how times of missing my mom, just happen.  Tonight I understood the missing since this was one of her favorite meals also.  I can't imagine how many times she cooked that meal for her family.  Even in the last years when we visited her, she would make this meal.  Yes, special, special memories.  Comfort in spite of the missing.  

Earlier (before my screen when white and I lost my first blog post), I was thinking about another "Comfort Food" - Communion.  That special celebration meal always brings me that same memory filled experience that other comfort foods do.  Even the smell of the wine and the candles burning are reminders of that great meal to come.  That simple cup and bread bring the greatest comfort and peace of any food.  I love that Jesus knew that we would need a tangible thing to hold on to, to taste and to eat and drink.  I love these verses from Matthew 26:26-28

26 While they were eating, Jesus took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and gave it to his disciples, saying, “Take and eat; this is my body.” 
27 Then he took a cup, and when he had given thanks, he gave it to them, saying,“Drink from it, all of you. 
28 This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins.

Every single Communion time is a time of comfort food.   And it is also comfort food filled with memories of all that Jesus accomplished on the cross for us.  Don't you just love that the Holy Spirit reminded me of Communion as I was thinking about my great dinner?

So a great Sunday dinner, followed by a pony shoe. Then memories of my mom and ended with some thoughts on Communion.  Not much better than that.   I am convinced that there is some reason that this blog really needs to be written.  I have found that the more difficult a post is to write, the more necessary it is for those that read them!  So for the second time........  here it is!

Jesus, thank you for all that you provide for us each day.  Thank you for food that fills our bodies with nutrients and fills our souls with comfort.  Holy Spirit, thank you for your gentle reminders that help us understand the great gift of Communion.  Jesus, bless everyone who reads these words with your comfort and peace.   Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment