Wednesday, December 13, 2017

An amazing night...

Yesterday I did a whole lot of driving, but it was so worth it!  I was at Doug and Susie's house with Grace yesterday during the day.  Last evening was Gwen's kids Co-op Christmas Program.  So I drove from the far west side of the Chicago area to the far north side - even beyond Gwen's house!  It was an interesting two hour plus drive on roads that I seldom drive.  Thankfully, I made it to the church in time to see the entire performance.  These two sweet girls did a wonderful job! 
Lia was in a Musical Theater production called "My King and Me".  She was incredibly nervous about this performance because she had a lead role that included singing solos.  I had helped her practice on Monday, so I knew that she had done a good job memorizing all of her lines.  The play was a cute adaptation of the Christmas story, centered on the people of Bethlehem building an amusement park for the expected crowd of people coming for the census.  The songs in this production were great.  Some were tradition carols modified a bit.  But the main song was amazing.  The director had taught the kids hand motions to this song that was basically telling the Gospel message.  This grandma has to confess that I got very teary during that song.  It is really powerful to see these kids sharing Jesus.  I couldn't help but think of the promise for Lia's destiny.... that she would be a voice to her generation to share the love of Jesus.  

Ellie and Lia were both in their Spanish classes performance of some modern Christmas songs in Spanish.  This is a beginning  class but both girls knew these songs well.  Such a fun way for the kids to express some of their new Spanish while singing meaningful songs about the birth of Jesus.  So proud of Ellie for not only walking onto the stage, but also for singing!  Quite an accomplishment for this sweet girl who would rather not be in the spotlight!

It's a grandmother's role to pray for her grandchildren.  Seeing the children that Lia, Ellie, Zeke and Anna have in their "school" (they are home schooled - so this Co-op is their school) gives me reason to be incredibly thankful.  I could not imagine a better place for them to meet new people and make friends, than this Co-op.  There are no clear "age" divisions, since most classes are multi- age.  As a matter of fact, this Spanish class that Lia and Ellie attend is mostly junior high age kids.  The Musical included kids from 1st through 6th Grade.   There is a "one room school house" feel to the co-op.  Actually one of Ellie's other classroom teachers is in the High School Spanish class (that performed with them). Some high school students are actually teachers!  Talk about great mentors.  It was wonderful to see some special needs children included in the performances.  How could you ask for anything more for these kids?  Home schooling and this co-op are certainly an answer to my prayers.

Even though the program was quite long (and I was pretty tired from my long day - and I knew I had an hour and a half drive home) I was thankful that they did a short Christmas Carol sing along.  I really don't have any place to sing these familiar songs, so it was quite a treat.  The very last song that we sang was "Happy Birthday" to Jesus.  Really a nice end to the day.  

I know that I often say this, but I am so, so thankful for the chance to spend time seeing my grandchildren.  It is great to see them on just a regular day, but it is also wonderful to be able to attend these special events.  I love this verse from The Passion Translation, Proverbs 17:6a

Grandparents have the crowning glory of life: Grandchildren!

Today was certainly one of those "crowning glory" moments for me!

Jesus, thank you for being able to experience Christmas through the songs of children.  Holy Spirit, help us all to be aware of the children that we encounter on daily basis - in our neighborhood, our communities, our churches - as well as in our families.  Remind us to enter into this busy holiday season with the awe and wonder of children. Jesus, thank you for answered prayers.  


No comments:

Post a Comment