Friday, December 1, 2017

When your tower falls...........

I am so grateful for the time that I get to spend with my grandchildren.  Some Mondays (when Gwen is teaching preschool and Anna is attending preschool), I get to just be a kid with Lia, Ellie and Zeke.  On this day Zeke and I had been playing dominos - actually just matching the patterns.  But it was a fun time just talking with Zeke.  When we had played several rounds of matching, Zeke decided to build a tower.  I watched his careful thought process as he began the stack...
and his concentration as it got higher and higher and more unstable.  Until finally....
it all came tumbling down.    

I have been thinking about all the changes that are happening in my world right now.  Ken has only a few short weeks of work until he retires.  And these last weeks have been really difficult for him, as his entire work space has been packed up and shipped across the country.    
So for him, all those years of working seem quite a bit like Zeke's tower.  Built up, year after year.  One company leading to the next company.  Thinking he had a few more years to add to that tower.  When suddenly,  it all came crashing down due to a decision made by his employer to move the company out of Illinois.

I am extremely proud of Ken and thankful for his decision to just move up his retirement date (by a couple of years).  Right now we don't know exactly what things will look like after January 1, but I am confident that we will just start building a brand new tower!   We are looking forward to more time to travel.  Ken is certainly looking forward to more time for photography. It is amazing how adjusting your perspective can change everything!  Instead of being a really negative thing, this new phase of our life has the potential to be really exciting.  We are very blessed to have adequate resources to allow us some freedom in making plans.  I am grateful that we will have even more time and opportunity to spend with our family.  

Zeke had the right idea.  As soon as that tower came crashing down, he set to work building an entirely different kind of structure.  Sadly I did not capture a photo of this new building.  But it looked nothing like his first tower - yet it was wonderful.  I left Zeke happily building to go and make lunch.  I have spent many minutes thinking about this day and those domino buildings.  Isn't this a great reminder for us all.  

If you feel like your life has been knocked over and all you see are pieces laying on the ground, take a cue from Zeke.  Just stop and imagine all the wonderful things that you can now build.  Your new life might not look anything like was it was.  But just think about all the amazing things that you can create out of the pieces that are there.  With the help of Jesus, we can do wondrous things!

I love these verses from The Passion Translation -  Psalm 55:16-17

But as for me, I will call upon the Lord to save me, and I know he will!  Every evening I will explain my need to him.  Every morning I will move my soul toward him.  Every waking hour I will worship only him, and he will hear and respond to my cry.

So with God's help, I am looking forward to new and wonderful things in 2018!

Jesus, thank you for reminding me that something great can come out of what seems like destruction.    Help us all to keep our eyes on your purposes and to see beyond our current circumstances.  Holy Spirit, give us all creative ideas as we look at those broken pieces and give us peace as we begin to build something new.  Thank you for always hearing AND responding to us, Jesus.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment