Friday, December 22, 2017

What a week....leading up to Christmas.

My week began at my favorite place to be - Chicago HUB on Sunday evening. The worship at HUB was wonderful - led by one of my favorite worship leaders, Steve Mitchell.  It was a free flowing time of worship, truly led by the Holy Spirit.  The interesting thing for me was,  I felt as if the particular songs and the direction of the worship were just for me.  I imagine that I am not the only person who felt that way, but there was a very personal message as one song flowed into the next.  I had walked in the doors that night feeling distant from Jesus, distracted by all the stuff of the season and alone.   I left that night feeling a close, intimate hug from Jesus, focused on the King of Kings and Lord of Lords and knowing that I was connected to a very large "family".  What an amazing Christmas blessing.

On Wednesday there was another Christmas treat!  I got to watch Anna perform in her first ever Christmas Program.. 
There is nothing better than seeing these preschoolers up on the stage, singing and sharing about the baby Jesus.  Anna is only 3 years old, but her personality showed through in her performance. Anna was the line leader for her class and she knew just where to go on the stage.   She was singing and dancing and knew all of the words and motions to the songs.  She was not one bit afraid - even though the church was packed with family members.  I stopped and picked up Lia, Ellie and Zeke so they could see the program.  Because Gwen is a teacher at this preschool, she was already there - directing the program!  

Most of the kids in Anna's class did more standing and staring rather than singing and motioning.  Anna told me that she was especially excited because she got to be on the "stage". She is a determined little girl who makes very clear decisions.   I am sure we will be seeing much more of her, front and center, and leading the way for her peers.   I have no doubt that she will be a "mover and shaker" later in life.  I truly believe that everyone would have a much calmer and sweeter Christmas if they attended a children's Christmas program.  You can't help but feel wonderful after watching these sweet little faces share the Christmas message.  

So, here on this Friday, December 22, our family is anticipating our Christmas gathering tomorrow.  
Our time together is never about the gifts that we exchange.  It is about the fun and the laughing.  We always share memories and stories from past years.  There is always food and time for silly games.  As I was talking with Lia, Ellie and Zeke in the car on the way to Anna's program, I was shocked to realize that Zeke never knew my mom.  Lia and Ellie always talk about her, but Great Grandma Nona died a month before Zeke was born.  It was one of those times when I really was missing my mom! Somehow the time just gets away from you and suddenly, years have passed without your loved ones.  Our Lucas would be three years old now and he is missed every day.    I loved that Zeke's final thought about Great Grandma Nona and Lucas was simply, "I know I'll get to meet her in heaven!  And baby Lucas also!"  

Yes, heaven is possible for us all because of that little baby, wrapped in strips of cloth and sleeping in a feeding box.  Jesus started life among us as a child and the message of his coming is simple enough to be shared by children.  The Father knew that the message of love and joy and peace on earth would be best carried to the world by the voices of sweet, innocent children.  

Anna's program ended with the children singing "Joy to the World".  Which is a fitting end to this blog.
Joy to the world, the Lord is come!
Let earth receive her King!
Let every heart prepare Him room.
And heaven and nature sing!
And heaven and nature sing!
And heaven and heaven and nature sing!

Jesus, thank you so much for the voices and the smiles of little children.  Holy Spirit, help us all to slow down, relax and remember the best gift that was ever given - Jesus.  Holy Spirit, show us how to prepare our hearts to be open to the joy and peace that Jesus brings.  Give us ears to hear the voices of the angels saying "Peace to the people of earth".  Thank you for this amazing season.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment